Apple Watch FAQs & Activation Guide

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 667 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hello, everybody wave

Another hot topic I've spotted on the Community is members questioning error codes being received when trying to set up their new Apple Watch 

In response to this, I've created a guide, which breaks down what steps need to be taken to resolve the issue and get you up and running so you can use your new tech 😊

Please see more details on this below ↘️

Your paragraph text (5).png

Which iPhones can I use with Apple Watch?

More info

You’ll need an iPhone Xs or later, running iOS 17 or later for our current range of Apple Watch. This includes:

• Apple Watch Ultra 2
  • Apple Watch Ultra
  • Apple Watch Series 9
  • Apple Watch Series 8
  • Apple Watch SE 2nd Generation
  • Apple Watch SE

We always recommend that you update the operating system (OS) to the latest version supplied by Apple, on both your Apple Watch and iPhone for best compatibility.

Check compatibility of previous Apple Watch models, purchased from us or elsewhere

Do I need to insert the eSim?

More info
No. The Apple Watch has a built in eSim, which can’t be removed. Once you’ve set up your eSim, you’ll be good to go.

How do I pair my Apple Watch with my iPhone?

More info
On your iPhone, make sure Bluetooth is on by going to Settings – Bluetooth.

Once your Watch has started up, hold it close to your iPhone. You’ll see a message prompting you to use your iPhone to set up your Apple Watch.

Follow on the instructions on the screen to pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone.

Your Airtime Plan and how to activate it?

More info

If you buy your Apple Watch from O2, we’ll set up your Airtime Plan for you. But you’ll still need to activate it when you set up your Watch. When you first turn on your Apple Watch, your iPhone will recognise it and prompt you to pair them.

As part of this process, you’ll reach a step that asks you to set up mobile data. Tap ‘Set up mobile data’. You’ll see a screen that confirms your plan has been added to your account. It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but sometimes it might take a little longer.

To check if your new Airtime Plan is active, open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’. In the ‘Data Plan’ section, if you see O2 with the word ‘activating’ then you’ll have to wait a little longer for set up to complete. If you see O2 with an orange ‘i’ next to it, then you’re all set up.

How do I buy an Airtime Plan on an Apple Watch that I already have?

More info

Open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’. Then tap ‘Set up mobile data’. You’ll be prompted to sign in with your My O2 username and password.

Once you’ve signed in, select your Apple Watch plan. Follow the steps on the screen to set up your Apple Watch Airtime Plan.

It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but sometimes it might take a little longer. To check if your new Airtime Plan is active, open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’.

In the ‘Data Plan’ section, if you see O2 with the word ‘activating’ then you’ll have to wait a little longer for set up to complete. If you see O2 with an orange ‘i’ next to it, then you’re all set up.

How long will it take to set up my Airtime Plan on my Apple Watch?

More info

It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but sometimes it might take a little longer.

To check if your new Airtime Plan is active, open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on ‘Mobile Data’. In the ‘Data Plan’ section, if you see O2 with the word ‘activating’ then you’ll have to wait a little longer for set up to complete.

If you see O2 with an orange ‘i’ next to it, then you’re all set up.

How do I add a new or different Apple Watch to an existing Airtime Plan?

More info

If you buy a new Apple Watch, you’ll need to go through the pairing process with the new Watch.

As part of this process you’ll reach a step that asks you to set up mobile data. Tap ‘Set up mobile data’. You’ll be prompted to sign in with your My O2 username and password.

Once you’ve signed in, you’ll see two options – ‘Buy another Airtime Plan for this Watch’ or ‘Move an existing Airtime Plan to this Watch’.

Tap ‘Move an existing Airtime Plan to this Watch’ to keep your current Airtime Plan. If you want to cancel your Airtime Plan, call 202 free from your O2 mobile.

How many cellular Apple Watches with Airtime Plans can I have connected to my account at one time?

More info

You can have 3 cellular Apple Watches with Airtime Plans linked to you account. You can have all 3 devices paired to your iPhone, but only one will be ‘active’ at any given time. You can change which Watch is active in the Watch app on your iPhone.

An ‘active’ Watch is the watch which will connect to your iPhone via Bluetooth when in range and can be customised through the Apple Watch app. When the active watch is in Bluetooth range of the iPhone it will use the data allowance from the iPhone airtime plan.

Any other Apple Watches you have associated to your iPhone will still connect to the cellular network if turned on and can make and receive calls via your iPhone number. As these are not considered the active watches they will not connect to the iPhone via bluetooth even when in range. This means they are using the data from the Watch airtime plan, but any calls or texts made will come out of the iPhone airtime allowance.

For an incoming call, all of your Watches and iPhone can ring at the same time, and you can choose which device to answer the call on.

You can find more FAQs here and instructions on how to activate your device here

Error Code Apple Watch Guide.png

If you're currently getting an error code when trying to activate your Apple Watch, below is a breakdown of what this code means and what actions need to be taken next ↘️

Reference code 8.

This means you have gone through the process of setting up your Watch airtime and then started a new one before the first was complete. If you have received an SMS, please restart your iPhone and Watch to check if completed. If not please unpair the Apple Watch, request a replacement eSIM, and activate it via QR code. Once activated pair the Apple Watch with the iPhone. If this doesn't work please contact our Social Media team here

Reference code 9, 47, 48, 50 & 54.

This happens when there has been an error in communication from the app during setup. Please try to set this up again. If this still not work please contact our Social Media team here

Reference code 10 & 41

This happens when the same eSIM has been downloaded on the device more than four times, this can be caused by you hard resettling their device or consistently moving the watch between 2 accounts. So we can try and resolve please contact our Social Media team here

Reference code 11, 12, 13, 46, 49, 51, 52, 53, 64, 68, 74, 75, 78, 81 & 82.

This error will mean that the eSIM will need resetting, so this can be done, please contact our Social Media team here

Reference code 14

If you had received a SMS that states setup has been completed, please restart your watch. If you still get this error or you didn’t receive an SMS, the eSIM will need resetting, so please contact our Social Media team here

Reference code 21

This means you have not signed into your My O2 Account successfully when setting up Cellular Data on your account. Please try signing in here If you’re still having issues signing in try here to help reset your password.

Reference code 28

This means your bill is still due to be paid on the lead iPhone, once full payment of this outstanding balance has been made please try activating again.

Reference code 29.

A different network request is processing on your account which can take up to 24 hours to complete, for example a bar removal or a sim swap. Once this action has been completed, please try again. 

Reference code 30.

You already have an Apple Watch connection for the Lead iPhone mobile number, please select the option to move any existing Airtime Plan to this watch instead.

Reference code 33.

Please restart your Watch and iPhone, if this doesn't work, please contact our Social Media team here

Reference code 39 & 72

Please try activating again after 24 hours, if this doesn't work, please contact our Social Media team here

For ANY other reference code not included above, an investigation will need to be raised to resolve these errors, so this can be done, please contact our Social Media team here 

Hope this helps 😊

37 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123181 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Excellent guide @Dave-O2.

Also good to have an understanding of the error codes. This has confused many people.

Thanks for this.

No doubt this guide will have a # and be included in the guide INDEX?

MI5
  • 144757 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Well done for finding all the error codes.

Very useful 👍

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 667 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff, @MI5 

Index of Community Guides has now been updated and Activate Apple Watch Guide is now active 👍

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Let's hope this takes a little of the stress of pair the watch and iphone

This gude will probably prove to be one of the most used (I was going to say popular but very proably the wrong word)

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10250 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3016 Solutions

Excellent guide for all... very well done @Dave-O2 

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

This excellent guide is pretty much what had been being asked of the now defunct Forum Advisor team as long ago as this time last year. Well done collating it all and placing it in the list of Forum Guides @Dave-O2 👍🏼 

Shelia
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m getting code 27 , and contacted social media team and went into store and called up. No one seems to know how to fix the error keep getting a CIT number but the issue does not get resolved despite text messages saying it has been. 

pgn
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@Shelia - did the Social Media team get back to you? You do need to persist via that route, Sunday mornings around 8am seem to be when awkward issues get a response.

There is another little trick that sometimes gets things moving:

If you get an error message at any point, on the iPhone, go to Settings and select Privacy > Motion & Fitness and switch it on.
Then go back to the watch app/Mobile Data/set up mobile data plan and be ready to put your o2 username and password into the resulting o2 prompt screen. As it costs £7 monthly to add the airtime for the Apple Watch, you'll need to authorise this after entering the o2 username and password. The phone app will then say 'activating' which can take a day or so, but at that point, you can try doing a phone call direct from the watch to test it.
You also need to have iData enabled on your account and pay bills by direct debit. This assumes @Dave-O2's detailed instructions above have been followed to the letter failed - especially the bit about the latest updates from Apple on both phone and watch.

I see another case on the forum for error code 27, but no indication from the advisor at the time on the fix: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple/Apple-Watch-Data-Plan-Reference-codes-**Personal info**-37/m-p/1... , for @Dave-O2 to amend the guide above if he finds the answer 👍🏼

Good luck, @Shelia 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys I hope I’ve posted this in correct place. 
The issue I’m having is the 4G connection on Ultra 2 watch. I’ve been reading many threads on here regarding Ultra watch loosing 4G connection or saying it is connected and then when you actually try to retrieve Mail or check the weather app for example it says not connected. 
I’ve had a few Apple Watches in the past but this is my first cellular version. 
Many of the threads talk about exactly the issue I’m have so looks like it’s an issue that’s been ongoing for over a year. I have an orange I next to the O2 in iPhone watch app module data setting however when I disconnect watch from iPhone to test the 4G I get a message saying no data connection. I hopeful someone can help me out.

Thanks

Swedishmike
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi , this is a massive help and clears up a lot of unknowns, however I’m now back waiting for my connection to complete with the buffering symbol, I after many telephone calls , a visit to a 02 shop and many messages went back to Apple yesterday, they put there eyes up in the air shook there heads and went and got another brand new Apple Watch Ultra 2 and removed the 4 day old watch and added the new as a new watch, all to eliminate it not being a fault with the hardware, this is customer support!! Now I wait again with nothing showing on my 02 account that I have purchased another plan , the best advice I have had from 02 is to take the watch back to Apple and get a refund then buy directly in the shop. 

Swedishmike
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi , 36 hours and still buffering, hoping my connection will go through today !!

Caseynw03
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m not getting any error codes and I have set it all up properly yet it’s been “activiting” for 3 days now 

Shelia
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am now getting the error code 30. But how do you fix it, as 02 customer service can’t understand why my Apple Watch Series 9 is not linked to my iPhone 15 pro max. It’s so annoying as this issue started when I did the 02 switch up deal and traded my iPhone 14 Pro Max for iPhone 15 pro max  

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12117 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1126 Solutions

The guide above has this for error code 30 @Shelia :

@Dave-o2 wrote:

Reference code 30.

You already have an Apple Watch connection for the Lead iPhone mobile number, please select the option to move any existing Airtime Plan to this watch instead.

If you have tried that and it didn't work, try using social media to talk to customer services.

https://linktr.ee/vmo2 

Silverill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Re Error code 30

i don’t get the option to move existing sim and I have an existing sim. 

occasional I do get that option, but follows the error code 30?

desperate for help on this issue?

Chrisinuk
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have o2 indicated when they’ll support family sharing/family watches and devices?

it seems they still don’t as we got our son a watch se with cell support today and still can’t add a data plan to it unless I add it as my own device

MI5
  • 144757 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27734 Solutions

Never likely to happen on O2 @Chrisinuk 

pgn
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@Chrisinuk wrote:

>Have o2 indicated when they’ll support family sharing/family watches and devices?

>

>it seems they still don’t as we got our son a watch se with cell support today and still can’t add a data >plan to it unless I add it as my own device

@Chrisinuk - seems not, on O2, sadly:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple/Set-up-Apple-Watch-for-my-son/m-p/1618625/highlight/true#M171068

Nicko76
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

IMG_0867.png

 Hello, I’m waiting to get connection for about 70 hours. No error just it says activating. Any ideas how long will takes? Thank you in advance 

Luke7878
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have contacted O2 customer services about 30 times and spent about 20 hours on phone or chats since 10 Jan ( its now nearly march)> They have no idea what to do with Apple WatchesO2 should not be supporting the apple watch as they can't offer any support. I have had the worst customer service possible.

carwynf
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @Dave-O2

I am getting reference code 28 when trying to set up my plan for my Apple Watch. I have paid all my bills and also have credit on my account. Can you support me with this issue please?

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 667 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Morning @carwynf 

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues. If you've followed the steps outlined in the above guide and you're still facing activation issues a case will need to be raised so this can be investigated and resolved.

This will need to be raised via our Social Team here

Removalizer
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am getting error code 26 on the Apple Watch app when trying to connect the airtime plan, O2 technical are trying to fix it but no luck yet, as mentioned  above the customer service is awful it’s taken me 2 weeks of phone calls to get to this stage

carwynf
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 14 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @Dave-O2 

I resolved my issue myself. I unpaired my Apple Watch from my iPhone and requested a new eSIM for my iPhone. Paired my watch again and was able to set up airtime plan. The issue must be linked with the eSIM on the iPhone. Also can you set up an Apple Watch Sim Only Airtime plan out side of the guide you have set up? Retentions said they could set up my airtime plan on their side and send me a QR code so I activate the watch? I told them I activate it through the watch app, they could’ve understand what I meant. Have had issues with CS and Retentions over last few days!

Silverill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had issues connecting my Apple Watch to iPhone including, many resets of sims, watches and phones. It has been an horrible customer service experience and the complaints team are none existent. 

upshot is the  network team has said there is a known issue and they working on it. No further details provided. I have never received such awful customer service as this. 

Hodgson
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 

I’m getting an error 15 after rebooting my watch 

can anyone help I’ve tried the link to socials but not getting anywhere 

thanks 

pgn
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@Hodgson - the Social Media team can take up to 3 days initially to respond - you can occasionally ping them again using the same method you initially used to reach out to them, either Twitter/X or Facebook or Instagram.  There was an amendment to the guide for Error Code 08 recently, based on feedback left here by the customer involved - note you can do the same to help out, when you get it cracked. Good luck!

PS - whilst there are no longer any advisors here, there has been progress when a 15 code appears, so persist with that info and Social Media: 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Error-code-15-Apple-Watch-Ultra/m-p/1632998/highlight/true...

Hodgson
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn Thank you 

I read through the previous posts but all I can see is the advisors dealt with it directly by sending private messages but I can’t seem to find any advisors to help out 

I’ve remessaged social media but they have a message in saying they are having a break at the moment 🙄

pgn
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Advisors were withdrawn as a service back in July, @Hodgson - but keep annoying the Social Media Team until you get a response - I have used it, my reply came back, after several nudges over about 3 days, at just after 8am on a Sunday, and we had my issue fixed and a (small) refund in my account not long thereafter.  Good luck!

Thisisme
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I bought a series 9 Apple Watch last month. 
1, how do I know if I’m paying for an airtime plan

2, if I have an airtime plan can I use my watch when not in range of phone or WiFi 

3, in mobile services on the actual watch the status says “no connection” but it says plan O2 with a green tick  

sorry for all the asks but I was so excited to get my watch (was on O2 business for ages ) and now I feel lost with it. 

TIA

Nickmb
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Dave-O2

can someone get in touch.

i am getting the error message 10.

this has been occurring since the 18th March. the 202 support have been unable to fix

Nick

Cleoriff
  • 123181 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Nickmb 

Error Code 10 says this:

Reference code 10 & 41

This happens when the same eSIM has been downloaded on the device more than four times, this can be caused by you hard resettling their device or consistently moving the watch between 2 accounts. So we can try and resolve please contact our Social Media team here

Whelan
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had so many problems with adding the data plans to my last 2-3 Apple Watches.
Most of the time o2 resetting the eSIM works, but what ever has happened this time I don’t know. They have messed around with something and made it somewhat worse.

I used to get all the usual error codes, 14, 10, 90 etc. but now when I go to add data it wants to add a brand new plan costing £7.   I have since upgraded to the ultra 2 thinking this may get things going, nope!. Customer services haven’t got a clue so I have been into the o2 shop and they have been really helpful and submitted it to the experts.

I am hopeful they can sort it but told them I’ll wait 1 week and if they can’t resolve it then I will return the watch under the 14 day period.  

Would any one here know what can be done to get things resolved?

Silverill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don’t hold much hope, they haven’t been able to resolve the issue setting my watch data plan and sim since dec 23rd 2023. 

they are broken my phone sim

connection now and no resolution on that either it’s been over a week and no phone signal 

emlou8
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m getting error code 108, I raised a repair query resolution and it couldn’t be fixed. I’ve just received another ultra 2 and the same error message is showing please can you help? 

pgn
  • 36253 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@emlou8 @Silverill @Whelan 

If you have contacted O2 via Social Media, with no joy, all we can do is tag @Dave-O2 - he may get back to you in the morning via PM here.

Good luck all 3 of you 🤞

Silverill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@emlou8  @Whelan 

@Dave-O2 

Good luck, I still have no luck resolving my watch issues. The service I have received across o2’s phone, app and X platforms has been nothing shorting of horrendous