cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlock a pay as you go phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am a pay as you go customer for three and a half years. I have long ago swapped my original 02 Huawei phone for an upgraded one. I decided to check out SIM free offers and found one offering more than twice the minutes, three times the data for the same £10 a month I pay 02. I am moving but apparently 02 charged £15 for this service. Vodafone and others charge nothing or less than £15. Ofcom is pressing network providers to stop charging for this service. Can I put any pressure on 02 or simply go and find a cheaper unlocking option?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144457 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
You can call cs and ask but it's always been policy to charge to unlock payg phones.
Other networks do charge too but o2 only charge for payg, contract phones are free to unlock.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144457 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
You can call cs and ask but it's always been policy to charge to unlock payg phones.
Other networks do charge too but o2 only charge for payg, contract phones are free to unlock.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your realistic advice. It's just the way it is. I think I'll shop around. If it looks like I'll end up paying much the same then the best way is pay up and leave! Loyalty counts for little when its one consumer v a global brand!

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144457 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
True unfortunately.
Good luck.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4