cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new non sim iPhone locked to O2 after first call

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is bad customer service to lock a persons iPhone to O2 just because I have used the service. I bought a new no SIM iPhone which was free to use on any network, and no one told me O2 sneakly locks the phone to O2 without telling you! I am not without a phone trying to get my so called non locked phone unlocked and it is taking ages, you also have the audasity to charge me for a full month after leaving the service

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes unfortunately it's in carphone warehouse small print that it will lock to the first sim inserted
Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you buy the phone from carphone warehouse
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too, from carphonewarehouse, but locked to Orange, when I tried it out using my sisters' sim while I waited for the nano O2 sim in the post. Now my O2 sim doesn't work in my new sim-free iphone 5. No-one at carphone warehouse mentioned this little detail, and Orange won't unlock it because they did not sell me the phone...

What a mess! If I had bought from Apple store, then it would stay unlocked. Then again, could have bought it through my own provider....

Carphonewarehouse says that Apple can help if phone inadvertantly locked to wrong network, but Apple could not help, saying it needs authorising by the network provider. Round and round we go... In fact, no-one could help.

Lesson learnt about iphone 5, is that 'unlocked' works with any sim, and 'sim free' locks to the first sim inserted into the phone. My solution was to sell the phone.

Previously O2 unlocked my iPhone 4s for free within 24 hours, maybe because it was a contract phone from them.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes unfortunately it's in carphone warehouse small print that it will lock to the first sim inserted
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys.

This does remind me of when the iPhone 5 was released by CPW ,and the disclaimer was in very small print on their adverts !

You are correct ref buying direct from Apple. That is what I elect to do and they have never locked out to any sim as they are bought as true factory unlocked sim free.

O2 would charge a payg customer £15 to unlock and it's free for contract customers.

A person would need to get someone on contract to insert their sim into the iPhone ,and make some calls to latch its imei number to the phone ,and request the unlock or get a payg SIM card , top up by £20 makes some calls and use £15 for the unlock fee.

It's a shame you had to resort to selling the phone to resolve the situation how you wanted to.

Take care.
Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144982 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
There was, quite rightly, outrage at CPW at the time for not making this clear to customers, however, it is now such common knowledge, I'd be surprised that they still think they can get away with it ?
All the networks have a system to clear this "lock" but they will need to be convinced to do it with valid reasons, proof of purchase etc (buying cheap on eBay isn't valid).
If you have one locked to O2 you need to push, via CS, to escalate your case to relevant dept that has the facility to help.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6