cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4S speaker don't work

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had no speaker for over a week now on my iphone 4s it went off a few days after I updated my software & has not worked since! I have tried every option that has been suggested on Apples forum site and others and nothing has worked! There seems to be hundreds maybe thousands of people with the same problem! One guy took his phone back to Ape yesterday under warranty & they replaced the speakers. They wudnt admit a fault this is what was said!:

He looked at my phone and ran a test. His machine read that it was a hardware issue. I explained that if it's a hardware issue then the phone isn't very good because a lot of people on the Apple website are complaining about their speakers right when they update to OS 6.1.2. He said most likely it was just that their speakers were blown, too, and that sometimes new operating systems will bring out the underlying problem a phone is having.
My phone is 15months old I can't afford a new one & my contract has a while to go! I can't afford an expensive repair! What do I do?:-(
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Then you need to battle it out with Apple - Nothing we can do to help here, sorry....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
A replacement speaker shouldn't cost you much more that about £10 to get fitted at a local repair shop. As you are out of warranty with Apple it's the most logical route to get phone repaired.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is I have found some people on the web who say this dosent always cure it as its a software problem! Regarding repairs my nearest O2 shop is 20 miles away & my nearest apple store is 40 miles away. If I send it away it will take 10 days! I need my phone!:(
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
By local repairer I meant an independent, not O2 or Apple as they will both charge you much more.... I've no idea if it's software or hardware related, but changing the speaker will prove it one way or another...

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The cheapest local repairer to me is 14 miles away & they charge £37.50 to replace a speaker! If its a software fault then that's a waste of money! I don't expect apple will pay me back!
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Then you need to battle it out with Apple - Nothing we can do to help here, sorry....

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have spoken to my local O2 store. They have no knowledge of any problems with speakers! As apple are the only phone company to only give a 1 year guarantee and all the others give 2 years they will charge me £140 for a refurb phone they won't repair mine! I said what if after I buy it there's a software update and my phone was not faulty? The answer that is what happens if you buy an iPhone! You have no warranty so it's your choice what to do!
Very helpful!
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
It's Apple that sets the warranty terms. There is a clause in UK consumer law that states "An item must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time". You could, if you tried hard enough, argue that it is reasonable to have an iPhone last 2 years without fault and maybe get some kind of goodwill out of Apple? Next time, buy a phone with a 2 year warranty......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8