cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 9 Beta - Issues / Likes / Dislikes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having installed the first iOS 9 Beta last night, I thought I'd write a quick summary of my findings ( I'm not a techy - I'm just a geek who likes to try these things out before anyone else wink )

For reference - iPhone 6 Plus 64GB A1524 (direct from Apple, so SIM free).

First off - The install size is MUCH smaller than iOS 8. I don't have an exact figure, but I reckon I freed up about 2GB of space on my 6 Plus after it had finised installing iOS 9. Good news for anyone who struggled to squeeze previous versions onto their devices slight_smile

Next - The font. Apple have used their Watch font in iOS 9 which, personally, I don't like. Some of the text looks a bit too much like Courier New for my liking! Granted, it does make text slightly easier to read, but personally I didn't have a problem with the old font.

Maps - Sure, Transit information is now included... Provided you live somewhere like London. Otherwise you're out of luck. I couldn't pull up information for Worcester (where I live) or Cardiff (where I used to live).

Multitasking - I haven't used the phone enough to be able to comment on this properly, but the new OS does appear to zip along better than iOS 8 did, and the new multitasking panes look better than before.

Battery - Apple CLAIM that iOS 9 will deliver around an extra 4 hours of use per charge. If the first Beta is anything to go by, that's absolute nonsense. The rate at which it's draining my battery is alarming compared to how it was in iOS 8. My phone lost almost 40% charge overnight after restoring from an iCloud backup, and is losing about 5 - 6% per hour now after restoring again as a new iPhone (despite not being used at all). You can actually notice the battery percentage gradually dropping away when using apps such as Twitter and Facebook - Hopefully this is a Beta issue which will be remedied fairly quicky as the battery life is (or was) one of the standouts of the 6 Plus.

Low Power Mode - This will supposedly deliver a further 3 hours of use on a single charge and works by restricting background app usage. Coincidence that Apple included it with iOS 9 which appears to drain the battery quicker..? Hmmmmm...

I still need to have a good play with the phone before I can write a decent summary, but I just thought I'd jot down my thoughts on it so far...

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Thanks for your first impressions, hopefully they will sort out any issues before the official release. 

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have a chunky power pack so the battery which isn't normally an issue anyway wouldn't be a worry. I have plenty of free space as i was forced to get a 64 as they didn't sell a 32
the font looks pants
thanks for taking time to comment I will keep am eye out for your updates
Message 3 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I did notice that Apple made this grand claim about battery saving but as you say the update seems to be having a reverse effect. Maybe they will be sending out a fix for this if it happens to many others?

Thanks for your first impressions. Made a more interesting read from someone who has actually installed it.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple are offering anyone to be a beta tester for the Mac or iOS you don't have to be a developer
Message 5 of 15

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I rolled back to iOS 8.4 Beta 4... A lot of my apps aren't compatible with iOS 9, so won't update. I have a feeling that's what's causing a lot of the battery issues as the phone is constantly trying to update them.

I'll install iOS9 Beta 2 when it's released to see if any of the issues have been addressed slight_smile

Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I rolled back to iOS 8.4 Beta 4... A lot of my apps aren't compatible with iOS 9, so won't update. I have a feeling that's what's causing a lot of the battery issues as the phone is constantly trying to update them.

I'll install iOS9 Beta 2 when it's released to see if any of the issues have been addressed slight_smile

I can see that being a problem. ...

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be fair, people said that about the iOS 8.3 / 8.4 betas and Apple sorted it quickly.
Message 9 of 15

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Great @Anonymous

Fantastic description of your first impressions. Low Power Mode sounds interesting.

Can't wait to hear your next round-up slight_smile

I've also moved this thread to the 'Discussion and Feedback' section

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 15