cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening guys, I hope you all had a great weekend, mine was spent at Upton park watching my team lose, then a few beers and a bbq yesterday, I hope every one had a safe yet enjoyable one... Today i was sat at my desk looking at my iphone and thinking what can i delete to give me some more memory and to be honest I cant delete much more so I have decided that I am going to pay off my phone fund and revert back to trusty Android and these are my reasons,

Apple is just a logo where your very content restricted, Charger restricted as I found out today using an aftermarket Iphone 5s charger.... no expandable memory, Itunes lags on Windows 8 and slows it all down, 

Android, fairly unristricted in terms of what you can do, decent anti virus software thats free, all android phones use a mini usb charger, battery life is more stable, expandible memory and plus links niceley to Google on laptop, nice syncs with Good Chrome cast, more free apps and better apps availible across the platform and most of all more user friendly... 

now do i go with the Galaxy S5 or the Alpha if that gets released on o2? what is a trusty stead in terms of android?? and how easy is it to upgrade Android platforms i.e Lollypop to Kit Kat etc.... 

over to you guys... Help me slight_smile 

Jay 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Generally speaking if you want to receive the updates soon after release then, your best bet is to stick with the Google Nexus range.  If your main drive is the hardware then also look at Sony Xperia, LG G2/G3/G Pro 2. Not that I'm saying Samsung is bad however in my opinion the software lets it down.

If you want to the same standard as iPhone without the agrivation then you may as well stay in the £400-£500 price tag region. I notice iTunes lags as well because Apple don't like Microsoft and as Linux is really a threat in the consumer market they get away with it.

You don't need antivirus on a mobile phone as long as you stick to verified Google Market apps (Play Store). And in any case, the best line of defence is an IPTables-based firewall running as a root process which you normally can't do under Android.

Many Android telephones actually opt for no storage options however a few still cater for it. The latest Galaxy S5 can use up to 128GB I believe. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Generally speaking if you want to receive the updates soon after release then, your best bet is to stick with the Google Nexus range.  If your main drive is the hardware then also look at Sony Xperia, LG G2/G3/G Pro 2. Not that I'm saying Samsung is bad however in my opinion the software lets it down.

If you want to the same standard as iPhone without the agrivation then you may as well stay in the £400-£500 price tag region. I notice iTunes lags as well because Apple don't like Microsoft and as Linux is really a threat in the consumer market they get away with it.

You don't need antivirus on a mobile phone as long as you stick to verified Google Market apps (Play Store). And in any case, the best line of defence is an IPTables-based firewall running as a root process which you normally can't do under Android.

Many Android telephones actually opt for no storage options however a few still cater for it. The latest Galaxy S5 can use up to 128GB I believe. 

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi jay

At the end of the day it's up to you what device you want to use.

As for memory I download playlists instead of my whole music library. Theirs only so much music you can listen to !

I don't keep old rarely used apps etc on my iPhone and I use DropBox.

Everybodies usage is different so go with what meets yours and good luck.

It's simple about charging cords. I choose not to use 3rd party cords. MFi certified ones are fine.

I notice one of your first thoughts was antivirus. I prefer not to have to worry about going down that route. Now I'm not saying my iPhone isn't 100% virus proof but it's fact because android is not as secure they are typically targeted. (Now awaiting some form of android user bashing)

I also prefer the way the networks have little say on iOS updates. No editing by the networks typically causing delays or worse not releasing the update at all to their software locked phones.

In what way do you find yourself restricted with what the iPhone achieves ?

Take care. slight_smile
Message 3 of 7

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great replies guys slight_smile

Jay, is any of this advice going to help?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 7

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Android is pretty much as secure as iOS only it's more open and unfortunately you can't prevent idiocy. Dance Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

all great replies and yes a big help to me... its a big help to me, in terms of moving forwards, i just need to find the right handset nopw to suit my needs... slight_smile thanks for teh imput slight_smile @Toby i will let you decide what the best answer is as they are all of major benifit slight_smile 

Message 6 of 7

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Toby i will let you decide what the best answer is as they are all of major benifit slight_smile 

I'll take another look in a few days. You're right, all good answers!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 7