cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disappearing data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I've been trying to sort out where my data allowance disappeared to, without much success. I recieved a text this morning that I had used 80% of my allowance, which I found hard to understand as I hardly use it at all, partly because I have such bad reception. I put the phone in a docking station and played internet radio through it over the morning. At lunch time I recieved another text saying my allowance wasused up. To my knowledge it had not been conected to 3G at all. I spent the next hour trying to use the chat line, I got through then got cut off, then it wasn't available, it said to try between 7am and 11pm. Silly me thought that12.30 was between those times. After an hour I phoned, I was told that my phone had probably lost the wifi connection while playing music and reverted to 3G, that was where my allowance had gone. I have now looked at my recent usage but am not sure how to interpret it. It appears to add usage at 00.00 each day and then again at some time after 22.00. This seems to be every day and I am certain I don't use data every day. Can anyone shed some light on this before I have to suffer the ordeal of talking to CS again. Thanks, Ken.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you turn data off on the phone, it will only use wi-fi which is free.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If you have an Android device you can usually check the data usage statistics in the Settings menu.

It will show you which app has used up your data allowance.

Cheers

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your data updates every day at midnight.

Your phone uses data even on gprs & sometimes it connects to 3G when you have t noticed & you say you used internet radio all morning so stick to wifi
Message 4 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145256 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27889 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

If you have an Android device you can usually check the data usage statistics in the Settings menu.

It will show you which app has used up your data allowance.

Cheers

The same feature is available on Windows and iPhone too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an old iphone, I went into settings, general, usage, mobile usage. It then shows mobile network data, sent and recieved, as 12.1 and 12.7 GB, but I can't seem to get any further. Thanks.

Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 145256 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27889 Solutions
Doesn't sound like it's been reset in a long time, so prob not much use to you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

This seems to be a phenomena affecting certain iOS devices. We hear about it so many times on here. However radio streaming is a data hog so always switch off mobile data .

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 145256 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27889 Solutions
Quite often, when the screen goes off on an iPhone, it will automatically switch off wifi and go to mobile data, so that may be your problem.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think my phone goes to data when the screen goes off but generally when streaming radio the titles are always showing and the screen is live. I tried to check some older bills but they're not available at the moment, no change there then. Some of the high usage was while I was on holiday, and not using the data at all. 

Message 10 of 14