cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X10 firmware update, when (if?) is it coming?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seeing as how the rest of the world has this update (including O2 in Ireland) does anyone know if this will ever see the light of day in the UK?

The last I heard from tech support is that there was 'no timescale' for the new firmware. Back in my dark days in IT that usually meant 'when we can be bothered' or 'never'. A pity, seeing as it solves quite a few issues and improves performance of the phone.

Have O2 gone down the road of the X1, Aino and Satio and just abandoned the X10? Or is it worth waiting? Or do we just de-brand to get support from Sony Ericsson?
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
ooo I just got an X10.. please enlighten me as to what this update is supposed to be for!?
Message 2 of 51

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sony have said that they will release the upgrade from Android 1.6 (Donut) to 2.1 (Eclair) during Q3, so that means by the end of September. However, it's also a case of when O2 get around to certifying the upgrade for phones on their network.

There is a minor update for unbranded X10's which is supposed to help improve battery life and signal, but that hasn't passed through O2 for our handsets yet.
Message 3 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
People... Debranding seems to be the only solution; atleast then o2 will pay the price for not giving us the update!
Message 4 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nobody at O2 is seeming to acknowledge this update exists. On the UK side anyway.

Having spoken to SE about this their response is that it is entirely up to the provider if/when this update gets released. So SE are effectively washing their hands of the problem.

The only response from O2 is a template email mentioning 'Android 1.6'. If you enlighten them as to what update you're referring to actually is (ie a firmware update and not an OS update) then you're asked to contact the Helpdesk, who know nothing about this update.

Complaints regarding this issue are not being answered. You get an auto-response acknowledgement email but nothing else.

O2 Ireland and Germany both have this update. Vodafone has released this update in the UK. So what is the problem?

Having been an O2 customer since the Cellcom/Cellnet days this is the last straw for me. I won't be renewing next time. I've seen too many handsets fall by the wayside. Once they've got you tied to a contract and your name is on the dotted line they're no longer interested.
Message 5 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to confess I feel somewhat let down by O2 UK and the handling of the firmware update. How can they let the competition beat them convincingly in upgrading the X10. Even 3 have it.
When I have contacted the customer service I am met with total ignorance.
I have a phone which is not performing and the they only way is to get the upgrade which my provider is doing very little about.
Having recently had a major dispute regarding a previous phone's repair I am strongly considering moving to another provider when my contract is up and having been a customer since the time of Cellnet you can understand how strongly I feel about this.
Message 6 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like many posting on this and other forums if O2 don't pull their finger out and release this upgrade then I will attempt the following:
* returning the phone as not fit for purpose - i.e. there is corrective software released by the manufacturer that implies there are issues with the current setup which I believe indicates it is faulty and therefore not fit for purpose; O2 are by their actions actively BLOCKING this fix. Imagine if your PC provider said "sorry you can't have the latest Windows service pack that fixes security and performance issues like everyone else".
* immediately buying either an Xperia x10 from another provider or (considering I have little dependency on this actual phone) finding an alternative android phone elsewhere that already supports 2.x

I strongly suggest anyone else fed up with this attempt the same, as well as writing to the complaint department...see below for how to!
Message 7 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

At O2, we always try to make sure things run as smoothly as possible for our customers. If you're unhappy with any part of our service, please tell us.

Your complaints give us a chance to put things right and also means we can improve our service to you and our customers in future.

Our customer service teams are in the best position to deal with your complaint and should be the first people you contact. You can contact them by phone, letter or email. You can do this by clicking the 'Email Us' link below:

We'll look into your complaint immediately and try to sort the issue out as fully as we can. If you're unhappy with our decision, ask for one of our customer service team managers to investigate further.

We hope that we will have been able to sort out any problems by this stage. However, if you're still not satisfied after speaking to one of our managers and you'd like an impartial review, please write to:

O2 Complaints Review Service

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP
More information here : How do I make a complaint?

Alternatively you can email us directly at:

complaintreviewservice@o2.com

or fax us on 0113 388 1153.

Please include the following information:

* Your name and address
* Your mobile and account numbers
* A daytime contact number
* A suggestion of what you'd like us to do to put things right

If you've had any previous correspondence relating to your complaint, please send copies of these as well as any names of supervisors and managers you've spoken to.

The telecommunications ombudsman, Otelo, can review your complaint if we haven't been able to sort the situation out using the steps above. Unless there is a deadlock situation, Otelo won't look at cases that are less than 8 weeks old.

Otelo
PO Box 730
Warrington
WA4 6WU

Phone: 0845 050 1614
Textphone: 0845 051 1513

www.otelo.org.uk

Email:

enquiries@otelo.org.uk

For information on your consumer rights, get free advice from your local citizens advice bureau (CAB), consumer advice centre, local authority trading standards or consumer protection department. You'll find their contact details in the local telephone directory or ask at your town hall or local authority offices.

If you have a complaint about premium rate services, contact PhonepayPlus at:

PhonepayPlus
Clove Building
4 Maguire Street
London
SE1 2NQ
Phone: 0800 500 212

www.phonepayplus.org.uk

Message 8 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Already submitted a complaint. One week ago. Still no response.

Seems like every other provider in the UK is releasing this update apart from O2.
Message 9 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive submitted a complaint too - let's see whether I get a reply. I won't hold my breath
Message 10 of 51