cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I ever get 4G connectivity?? This coupled with the price increase is forcing me elsewhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has 4G been a thing? How long has everyone wanted it? How long has it taken to achieve such a POOR rate of coverage? Am I the only one who thinks this is all a ridiculous ploy to reel in customers who don't know any better, and don't care whether they are actually getting 4G or not? Seriously, o2 should be ashamed of themselves and their rollout schedule - compared to say, Three (that's right, the network everyone ridicules) it's absolutely awful. Of course, when I go to London it's incredible. Lightning quick infact. But I live in Weymouth, Dorset and there are no available details that even bother to acknowledge the town or it's planned coverage.

As if this wasn't frustrating enough I have just received an email stating that from April 2015 I will have to pay an additional 1.1% on top of my current contract due to the "Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation". This is disgusting. You use 4G as a selling point and you can't even offer coverage for half of the country - after almost THREE years now. Not only this but you can't even give us a detailed plan of action, even a predicted period in time would be better than nothing!

So now i'm just absolutely fed up with o2 and am seriously considering cancelling my current contract. Perhaps my frustration stems from not being able to access readily available information - however, I am very experienced with internet search engines and have wasted a significant amount of my time trying to locate any up to date and informative details. What I can find clearly contradicts itself (for example - I know for a fact Southampton had 4G before Christmas, yet o2 are stating on their website that it's planned for 2015).

So, basically what i'm asking is this: Can anyone provide me with any answers or information in regards to 4G rollouts? I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately not.
For some strange reason, known only to o2, they won't tell !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the priority should be getting 3G rolled out properly.

Many of us don't care about watching 4K videos on our 1080p screens or downloading a film in a nano-second. Many of us just want to have a reliable internet connection whilst out and about!

Message 3 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will probably know when 4G arrives before anyone here or indeed anyone at O2.

Message 4 of 5

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Given O2's 4G roll out started about 15 months ago, I'd say they're not doing too bad. Same goes for all the networks albeit EE had a decent headstart thanks to EU red-tape. Also EE just sent out their letters reminding customers of their annual price increase.

Anyway... The networks don't like giving too much info on their roll-out plans as they don't like their competitors to know. I work in the industry and had to sign an NDA before getting access to future coverage maps for another operator.

The Government and EU target is to complete the 4G roll-out by end of 2017 (the networks were aiming for end of this year, but that's gone very quiet) so you could be waiting a while yet, unfortunately.

ewan

Message 5 of 5