cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I only get 3G when roaming Canada, Australia, Portugal? And even with 3G WhatsApp can’t work

Dai13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Attracted by the chance to use my data allowance in a range of countries I opted for O2, but so far in Canada, Australia, Thailand, Mexico and Portugal, all countries where it should work, I am getting only 3G service and that’s not able to support WhatsApp, let alone more data hungry apps.

So far it’s only been useful in USA and Netherlands for me where I got 4g/5g.

Are the O2 roaming agreements only for the 3G networks in some of these countries?

I’m surprised 3G can’t support WhatsApp messaging too, any ideas if I might have a setting wrong or something. Works fine over 4g/5g/wifi both home and in USA.

Any help or advice very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145027 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Dai13 

Many times, travel restrictions are due to the roaming networks, so it's always a good idea to do a manual network search and try the different networks offered by the phone. Some work much better than others.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2