cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are 900Mhz 3G speeds so rubbish?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm lucky if I can get 1mb, I did once see it at 2mb, its not just this 1 cell tower its seems to be any 900Mhz site I've been to.  Compared to EE where on a bad day I get 8mb on 3G now that is a very bad day, I usually get almost 12mb

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm lucky if I can get 1mb, I did once see it at 2mb, its not just this 1 cell tower its seems to be any 900Mhz site I've been to.  Compared to EE where on a bad day I get 8mb on 3G now that is a very bad day, I usually get almost 12mb

It depends on loads of factors, from your handset configuration, through the atmospheric conditions, the configuration of the mast, and the operator's internet backbone.  There is no quick explaination.

Why are you blaming 900 Mhz sites particularly?  Have you done tests that show that you get better performance when using a mast that negotiates on a higher frequency?

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on loads of factors, from your handset configuration, through the atmospheric conditions, the configuration of the mast, and the operator's internet backbone.  There is no quick explaination.

Why are you blaming 900 Mhz sites particularly?  Have you done tests that show that you get better performance when using a mast that negotiates on a higher frequency?

Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2's 3g network is hugely oversubscribed and congested at the moment. They are improving their fibre back haul slowly and it is planned for completion in another 2 years.
4G rollout is also commencing at the same pace.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3