Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in the USA

victim31150
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can anyone help, please? I am utterly confused.

From information off the O2 website it seems that my phone, a Motorola G(8) is not compatible with North American networks. Yet, an assistant at my local O2 shop, who examined my phone suggested I buy an "international bundle" for £6 per day so that I can use the phone in the States when I visit there later in the year. Having done further research, some sources say that my phone should work fine, others say it won't work. I only need it for emergencies or to make a call or two book cabs etc. One source, who seemed adamant that my phone will work suggested that I simply switch on roaming when I need to make a call then switch off afterwards. Can anyone enlighten me once and for all?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

victim31150
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just spoken to O2 and I have been assured that 4G calling is activated on my account. Thanks for all your help.

Message 11 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144941 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@victim31150 

You need to now make sure it is switched on in your phones settings.

It should be in either the phone app or under sim and network settings.

You may need to reboot your phone for them to appear.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 14

victim31150
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I phoned O2 and they took me through the process I noticed that under "mobile network" in the settings menu there was an option, "Preferred network type 4G )recommended)". At first this was greyed out but now it is bright and if I press that option the 4G shows up on the next window. I think it's all OK now. Thanks again for all your patience and help. It is much appreciated.

Message 13 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144941 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@victim31150 

Yes, sounds perfect 👍

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 14