cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phones from O2 network

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is unacceptable to have to wait 12 months to unlock a mobile phone that has only ever been used with a pay as you go SIM. This makes a mockery of not having a contract phone. You are in effect forcing a contract upon pay as you go customers by locking their phone for 12 months to your network. A phone that the customer has bought outright and belongs to them cannot be used on other networks for 12 months?? What right do you have to do this?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As this is a customer to customer community o2 will not respond but the regulator OFCOM has this advice http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/changing-provider/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocki...

Unfortunately you will need to speak to o2 directly about this . 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As this is a customer to customer community o2 will not respond but the regulator OFCOM has this advice http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/changing-provider/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocki...

Unfortunately you will need to speak to o2 directly about this . 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's in the T&C's and within the Ofcom regs.
In future, buy from CPW and you won't have the problem.
Complaints link, if you feel it's worth your time is here, although I doubt it will help, but worth a try.....
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It won't help at all. O2 are keeping within their terms that are freely available to read when you purchase the phone.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I think a valid point is that O2 subsidise the phone to keep the price down, look at the MOTO G 3rd Gen £99 pay as you go, or £129 sim free at CPW.

Message 5 of 7

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
That's right, but not in all cases. I believe all handsets sold (unless on lease) should be unlocked.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
That's right, but not in all cases. I believe all handsets sold (unless on lease) should be unlocked.

My feelings too. The main reason I didn't buy a phone off O2 before coming over here is that it would be useless to me until after 12 months. I could have put my contract sim in to get it unlocked but decided against it on principal, especially when phones are cheaper here anyway....and I certainly didn't want the O2 splash screen and the endless delays for updates.

Until the governing bodies outlaw the practice of locking phones, all the networks will continue to do so. Again, the biggest reason I couldn't bring a 6s for the wife and buy it with the credit I had.

Message 7 of 7