cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited text LIMIT

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been informed by o2 that text messages that go above 160 characters are charged as a media message. Can anyone tell me if this is something new or as it been in for a while?

I find it appalling

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Good Person, thank you. will I make any progress by popping into a shop? can they make changes to my phone? i am a scout leader so I often send lengthy messages giving directions etc etc

If the phone you have converts to mms by default, there won't be any way of changing it.  As I said earlier, it very much depends on your handset.  if it converts it converts, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Message 15 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the community.

Some handsets split longer messages down into component parts. For example my S4 allows texts up to 480 characters then converts.

What handset do you have?
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145722 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28015 Solutions
You are allowed 480 characters before auto conversion to MMS, but other factors also influence this auto conversion.
We can advise more when we know what phone you are using.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
My old phone (s3) allowed 1600 characters before conversion to mms. Whether that changed from 4.1 to 4.3 I don't know. I didn't have my s3 long enough after upgrading the software to find out.
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a lumia 620, O2 are the ones telling me that after 160 characters it turns into a mms mess. Regardless of what hand set I have

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 145722 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28015 Solutions
No, that isn't true.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

the O2 person said it was standard for all network providers

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 145722 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28015 Solutions
That isn't true either.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Were you using live chat by any chance or had you called customer services to ask?
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

live chat, I logged in because I noticed on my bill I have been charged £22.90 for 79 mms messages

Message 10 of 18