cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uni gap year in USA while still in contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Ive still 18 months left on my contract, but I've been selected for a gap year placement in USA commencing 30th June.

To cancel my contract it's going to cost £450, 

Has anyone ever had a similar experience, or can anyone advise me on a way around this.

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

As it's through Carphone Warehouse, that upgrade fee is including both the outstanding cost of your tariff and the handset, which would have to be paid off one way or another. A few options would be:

• Pay off the plan entirely, in which case the phone is yours, and you can use it in America if its unlocked.
  • Remain in contract and continue paying your monthly bill. You will be able to get the phone unlocked if needed and can use an American SIM card in it for the duration of your time in the states. You can also use the TuGo app to call and text back home with your UK number for free over WiFi.
  • Sell the phone, and put the money raised towards paying off the contract, buying a cheaper PAYG phone here to use in America, or buying a PAYG or contract phone when you get to America.

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
Congratulations on your placement! Was the phone taken out as an O2 Refresh contract, or through a reseller like Carphone Warehouse?
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Unfortunately there is no way round this problem I'm afraid. You can download TU and use it over wifi for calling and texting back to the UK which will use your allowances. If you have a Refresh contract you can just pay off the handset and then cancel the airtime. Another way would be to sell the phone and pay off the contract with the proceeds or ask a family member to take over the usage of your contract, though you would still be liable for the payments being made on time each month.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

It was an early upgrade as I've been with 02 for a number of years although it was through carphome warehouse on this occasion.

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I'll explore these options.
Message 5 of 7

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23352 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3718 Solutions

No way out then, except to pay off the contract or pass it to a family member, but that entails trust, as it's your contract and you are ultimately responsible for it. Using TuGo over WiFi for calls and texts would only be good for calls back to the UK. Calls within the US using your O2 sim would be extremely expensive.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 7

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

As it's through Carphone Warehouse, that upgrade fee is including both the outstanding cost of your tariff and the handset, which would have to be paid off one way or another. A few options would be:

• Pay off the plan entirely, in which case the phone is yours, and you can use it in America if its unlocked.
  • Remain in contract and continue paying your monthly bill. You will be able to get the phone unlocked if needed and can use an American SIM card in it for the duration of your time in the states. You can also use the TuGo app to call and text back home with your UK number for free over WiFi.
  • Sell the phone, and put the money raised towards paying off the contract, buying a cheaper PAYG phone here to use in America, or buying a PAYG or contract phone when you get to America.

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 7