cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try the Tech - Moto X Initial Impressions

Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, let me say thank you to @Toby and the community team for letting me have the opportunity to ‘Try the Tech’ in the first place.

Here are my first impressions on the Moto X I’ve been using for the past few days…

Things I Like (so far)

• Size -  even though it has a 4.7” screen, the phone itself feels a far bit smaller, especially in comparison to the Lumia 920 I use normally day to day, and I’ve got to say that the quality of the display seems better than the Lumia so far as well, bearing in mind they are both have the same resolution (720p).
  • Active Notifications – Quite simply amazed at this feature. It’s such a simple feature but has been implemented by Motorola incredibly well. The basic nuts and bolts of it are that when the phone is ‘sleeping’/in standby every so often, or when you move the phone, the lock screen icon will appear and will display any new notifications you may have, be it Facebook, Gmail or SMS etc. These can be toggled on and off as well in the settings, and hidden completely if you don’t like them or only when you have the device locked. Drag up on the notification and you can see the most recent one previewed. You can also turn this off during your ‘quiet hours’ so no glaring display in the middle of the night when you’re supposed to be sleeping!
  • Touchless Control -  not a lot different to other Android devices here, except that the Moto X will accept voice commands from pretty much anywhere (and not just the launcher) simply by you saying ‘OK, Google Now’ in ear shot of it. Works great in the car as it’ll pick up from sleeping without you having to wake it up first.

I’ll be using the Moto X as my daily driver for the next week or so, so expect a more in depth overview then, but initial impressions are good, battery lasts well, and for a phone that is 12 months old (if you count the original US release date) it’s held up well. The few days I’ve bene using it so far have got me more excited/interested in what Motorola will be announcing on the 4th September as well!

Anything anyone wants me to check out, let me know!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Don't forget to check out the "Motorola Spotlight Player" - Some great short movie animations to waste a bit of time over slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Don't forget to check out the "Motorola Spotlight Player" - Some great short movie animations to waste a bit of time over slight_smile

I forgot to mention that, it took me by surprise the first time that little bug started running around the screen.... Shocked

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123380 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

A nice interim review @Anonymous  Look forward to the final 'cut'....:smileywink:

Its good to hear something positive about  Motorola phones. I used them for years before moving to Samsung...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol,  it took me by surprise too and enjoyed the fun that can be had by it !

Whistle

Im glad your enjoyment the phone thus far.

Message 5 of 6

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
A great little first impression post Steve slight_smile

I've barely heard any bad comments about the Moto X.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 6