Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Hotmail Email Account

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Is it possible to amend the name of an email account (Hotmail) or create a new one and still have the emails from the old email address diverted to the new one without others having to add a new email address to their contacts?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/hotmail/hotmail-help so you are now an outlook.com user

help for that can be found here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/email-communication-help#email-communication-help=windows... not an outlook.com user but the guides there should assist or you can ask a microsoft expert over there

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I tried your link damien1.

When I go to the settings, it isn't letting me add a new email address.

There are 2 options: one to create an alias and one to merge over from a previously created email address.  I have tried adding the new email address but it won't work.

It's confusing - it said I can't add an alias until I create the email address and then when I created the email address it said that I can't use it as it has already been created.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to admit I haven't tried it myself was just trying to help don't use hotmail myself
Message 5 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would follow the help links to microsoft help  forum where you can get an answer from someone that can help you. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum?auth=1

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 24

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Ok thanks for your help adamtemp64 and damien1.

Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me see if I read this correctly. You made an email address but want its name to be slightly different. Outlook (hotmail) correctly informed you that you cannot make an alias without being logged into an account.

Regardless of if you used that alias on another of your mail accounts or someone else uses it, you won't be able to use that.

Anyway, when you register an alias, it creates a sub folder in your mail account and sets up a forwarding rule for all mail to that email alias to land in the designated sub folder. If for whatever reasons it does do this, you simply create a new folder then go into more mail options and set a up a basic forward rule to move all mail directed to the alias into the desired sub folder you just created.

As for mail coming to your old email name, you don't have to setup forwarding for that. Simply go into more mail options and choose the alias you created as the default name to send out email as. So when you go to respond to emails directed at the old address, the mail account will automatically mail out as your newly added alias.

edit: I forgot this bit. If you really REALLY want a certain email name but it is not available in the UK domain options when you go to create an alias then do this (Note this is a example):

1) Set your connection to use a proxy, for example, a proxy to Japan OR (more securer) / temporarily change the browser encoding language to Japanese (or whatever language your desire, in this case I use Japanese as an example.)

2) Go to create an alias and you should see new domain options available like @live.jp

You can choose any language, not just Japanese, as shown in that example above. You will also find that non-UK and non-US domains provided by MS have a much larger pool of usernames available.

I have registered myself two @live.jp aliases because I couldn't get those names available on either the UK and USA MS domains.

Technical facts (as I recall them):

A) You can log into your mail account with ANY alias you have on the mail account or with the original email name you created.

B) You can create 5 aliases per year with a maximum of 15 in an account's life time.

Message 8 of 24

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I have one hotmail email address.  I want to have another one, but receive emails for both accounts in on one of the accounts.

When I first tried to add an alias, it said that I had to create a new hotmail address and then link it.  The one I wanted was available so I created it, however when I went back on the page to link it, it says you cannot link an email address which is already in use. 

I know i'm not the sharpest tool in the box but surely that contradicts itself?

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then going for the alias was the correct route. However, something seems to have gone amiss for you.

Simply logging into your email account, then clicking 'account settings' will take you to your account overview page where you will see 'Account aliases' and a bit down > add or change aliases'

From there you would simply click add alias, put in a name, click ok, job done (in no more than five seconds.)

Which route did you go down for creating an alias?

Message 10 of 24