cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam messages from 66 111 and premium service account charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

On saturday I received a spam text from number 66 111 with the words:

"http://russian-amateurs.com and enjoy your hot babe videos.  Help? 02035981581"

This I forwarded to the O2 spam reporting text number 7726 along with the originating number.

Today I checked my bill and found a premium service charge of £2.50 with the same originating number 66111.  I rang O2 customer services to complain and they informed me that I "must have clicked on some link" and that the only way of resolving the problem was for me to call the originator's Help number 02035981581 to cancel my "subscription", of which I have no knowledge.  They said, also that even with a block on premium services on my account, it could still have further charges made to it regardless.  

The O2 adviser said that the company is London based "Global Awareness Content Servers" and I have found a website for them with the same contact number:  http://global-awareness.co.uk/contact.php

I rang the number and spoke to a polite and pleasant "Amber" of the Customer Service department who said that someone will call me back within 24hrs to cancel whatever account they seem to have for me.  I will report back when I have heard or if I do not.

I am obviously very concerned that without any approval from me, my mobile phone account has been charged and O2 say they are powereless to prevent further such charges, even though I have bought nothing from this company - I am extremely careful about any additional mobile phone charges, let alone this kind of premium service ****** spam.  It looks and feels like I've been scammed - this is little short of fraud in my opinion.

Has anyone else been hit with this kind of scam?  I am not at all impressed by O2's handling of it and I think the whole thing, apart from being a waste of my time, is likely to catch out others who may be less able to deal with it.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Please contact the regulator for premium rate numbers www.phonepayplus.org they can help gettting a refund etc 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Please contact the regulator for premium rate numbers www.phonepayplus.org they can help gettting a refund etc 

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144462 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
There are many ways in which you can be tricked into "subscribing" to these scams. Facebook surveys, "win an iPhone" etc.....
There is a useful help link here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-... and Adam has already given you the link for the regulator to whom you must report this to enable them to act.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I've just put in a complaint to them.

Will

Message 4 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous Hopefully you will get a result the regulator and the ico who gets all the 7726 report data actually do have the powers to act and the ico do hand out big fines .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too received the same text and jsut ignored them as didnt want to confirm i was a real number by replying and have now found that over £45 has been stolen from my credit. I have tried calling but there is no answer but will also log a complaint with the premium watchdog.

I will let you know the outcome

Paul

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93251 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144462 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions
Shows that it is important not to ignore these kinds of scams.
Once caught out by them you must act immediately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.  I was sent a message from an 80005 number and it said FREE SMS along with a message about winning some rubbish and an OPT out reply to 80005 (STOP).  I made the mistake in texting STOP to the 80005 number and ended up getting charged £5 for it!!  I have spoken to 02 and they said that they would dispute this charge on my behalf but I have yet to be refunded.  Any suggestions on how I can be refunded that money?  Any info would be much appreciated.

Message 10 of 11