Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet Connection | Poor Signal

chrisrpry
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been an O2 customer for many many years, long enough to know the quality of their service has changed for the worse!

I regularly receive reception of 2-3 out of 4 bars, its rare to get 4 bars, and when I do, this is no guarantee this reflects internet speed / quality.

I also rarely receive 4G (more often or not its 3G) and even more rare to receive 5G (unless near/in a city which has the infrastructure). 

I've complained to O2 on multiple occasions, there is never any resolve.

I've raised INC#### CIT-A#### type cases and no one in O2 is taking any responsibility in attempting to locate, and fix the issues, let alone the communications is extremely poor.

for years phone contracts have move far away from minutes and texts, they are pretty much costless/free its all about data. thus I am not sure what I am paying on my contract.

i know this issues is huge, many people i know are experiencing the same thing.

what is it O2?
are you oversubscribed?
do you not have enough aerial masts?

please get back to us with a plan, some dates, and real reasoning to why we have such a bad service, this is not how O2 used to be!

chrisrpry
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@chrisrpry 

No one from o2 will get back to you, with any of the information you have asked for. 

The problem seems to be across all UK MNO's and it down to a variety of factors:

Infrastructure roll outs been hampered by Lack of Hardware (due to Customs Delays and every MNO fighting for the same kit globally and the Chipset Shortage), Councils and Local Residents objecting to new masts. Landlords not wanting masts on there land anymore. Slow Dark Fibre rollout in the UK, and Power Grid Constraints. 

Oversubscribed... Not too sure, in some areas yes, where the infrastructure isnt there or is limited, in others Not.. 

Your local community can try and ask o2 to provide more infrastructure, but you may be asked to contribute as a community via funding etc... > £50K 

At the end of the day if it is so bad where you are, pay off your contract and move to another MNO... simples... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23101 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@chrisrpry This is not O2. This is a customer community. It's common knowledge that O2 is oversubscribed, and even more so now since the merger with Virgin. It's highly unlikely that things will improve in the immediate future. Maybe they will in the long term. I would say you should get Pay & Go sims from the other networks to see who you get the best signal with and then consider switching providers: Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

chrisrpry
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the responses, some valid points have been made with some obvious suggestions too.

I get it, components shortage, supply on demand etc.
what baffles me is - the 'on the phone' feedback typically is, "oh yes, we can see there is an issue with one of the masts in your area, we'll get an engineer to look at it". more than half a dozen times thats been said, and I'm starting to believe its just a way to get me off the call.

they take my feedback, open up cases, open up escalations, open up complaints, even once I've been provided a discount for the next phone bill (good will gesture).

but no one responds after these points of contact. no texts, no emails, no calls, no feedback whatsoever, no information - the best I've had is "we've closed your case because we didn't hear from you." - that's odd.

the issues is specific to certain areas, and what mast were hanging from.

some areas, like my town center, has full signal no internet at all. (confirmed by o2 staff in store on all their personal devices too). other towns i actually get 5G and its AOK.

it's such a pain and agro to now pay+research the best local provider. (cant trust the coverage maps).

the only option right now is what has been suggested to get multiple sims from different MNOs and see what is best in my area.

chrisrpry
Message 4 of 6

2rubbish
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It’s because they changed to virgin internet a few years ago which is total rubbish!

I can’t wait to leave!

Message 5 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10199 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@2rubbish 

Nothing to do with Virgin Media, as the backhaul is provided by quite a few vendors, the problem is some sites cant take Dark Fibre, some cant even take Fibre, so some rely on Microwave backhauls to other masts which then routes the data..  

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 6