cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should O2 offer Apple iMacs for sale to Pay Monthly customers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all,

I've just finished chatting with someone on O2 support about the company offering iMacs (21.5" and the 27" range) to Pay Monthly customers only - or to O2 customers on contract which could be selected and added onto their existing contract in some way and pay for the item(s) per month as you would with your handheld device...etc, and to the general public offer iMacs at standard fixed fees which they would pay outright through the store if they were not keen to add to contract or if they did not have a contract.

O2 were happy to take stock of this idea, I'd be foolish in thinking that I thought of it before they had, I'm sure they've been considering this avenue long before I mentioned it, it's just about gettting it right I suppose. They agreed with me that it is a great idea and something they will think about (fingers crossed!). Also, they agreed that it would benefit those out there, myself included, who really want an iMac, but can't afford to buy outright due to the expensive prices, but would be able to pay monthly installments as they do with their mobile contracts, not to be included in the mobile bill itself but in a separate bill which would be invoiced at the same time as the mobile bill.

This idea, if it ever got the greenlight, would be even more beneficial those on Pay Monthly contracts as they would not have to be approved for credit:

Step 1: Choose iMac or Mac of your choice

Step 2: Choose features and specifications of your iMac...etc

Step 3: Select which method of payment - 'Pay full amount' or 'Add on to existing contract'

I know this may be a long shot and perhaps unrealistic for O2 to ever go down this route, but I personally believe it's a valid opportunity for O2. But what do you all think?

Have a great day folks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

O2 tried this a couple of years ago with laptops and it faded away, I can't see them going down this path.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've just finished chatting with someone on O2 support about the company offering iMacs (21.5" and the 27" range) to Pay Monthly customers only

Why iMacs ?

Edit : apologies to any Geordie reading....that wasn't supposed to sound like "Wae'aye Mac"

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Doesn't have to be restricted to the iMacs.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

O2 tried this a couple of years ago with laptops and it faded away, I can't see them going down this path.

As did several ISPs but there has been nothing similar for quite a while now.......probably too costly for the returns seen.

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can see both sides of the arguement but I do think if done properly, some sort of scheme of this nature could manifest and perhaps work.
Message 6 of 8

Zombie_Fried
Level 4: Observant
  • 133 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Why not just go to apple. Or if you wanted to buy on a credit agreement pc world do something.
Message 7 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Exactly! Though the underlying problem with going elsewhere is that you have to go through the credit checks and quite possibly be rejected. The rules of acceptance into a credit agreement vary so by using o2, you bypass that.

But the real issue is that to make this work for a network, customers will need to shed their mentality of Gollum (my precious! It's my precious!) and go into the leasing avenue. Thus they never actually own the item but pay a monthly cost for it. Reminds me, whatever happened to that iphone leasing thing: higher monthly tarriff but its all inclusive?

Message 8 of 8