cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking customer service regarding repairs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been a customer with o2 for 5 years now, still in a contract for 11 months and I have to say that as soon as my contract is up I will be cancelling with them and going elsehwere. Never had any problems with T-mobile, and no this has nothing to do with their recent network coverage loss (though that's hardly working in their favour as it's happened 3 times this year so far).

My iPhone 4s black 64gb came up with a few faults a while ago and the most recent was making it a nightmare so I handed it into Edinburgh's Cameron Toll branch for repair. All going fine. Explained the four faults with it: the earphone jack sometimes didn't know you had disconnected the earphones and there was no way to get it to emit sound as there was no earphones connected (but the phone didn't seem to know that) so the volume bar disapeared, because of this the phone no longer worker properly with certain docks, like the one I bought with the phone for the app to set the time and show the weather etc (£60 from o2 when i bought the phone) also a part of the screen was discoloured for no reason, and last of all (the fault I handed it in because of) the phone switched itself on and off constantly when the battery got below 30%.

I then got a call from the repairs team who informed me that Apple phones come with a limited maufacturers warranty and that I had voided this because my back plate was chipped and that the repair would cost £119 as they wouldn't pay for it, making it pointless as my insurance excess is £100. The "chip" on the backplate isn't actually a chip at all, it is an absolutely miniscule score (from taking my keys out my pocket with the phone in the same pocket). In effect it is a quite deep scratch, to call it a chip is being generous. Infact it's not a chip at all since none of the plastic is actually missing it's just been pressed in a certain place. To make sure I'm being clear you can only notice this mark by turning the phone round so it catches the light and it measures less than 1mm in any direction.

I phoned Apple themselves who confirmed that this is complete nonsense the only way to void your warranty is to remove screws/the backplate itself. E.g unauthorised tampering or repair. They wont repair cosmetic damage (e.g if I broked my screen) but these were known faults with the model and had nothing to do with the miniscule mark on the top edge.

Phoned o2 customer services as I'm now out of warranty (they took 6 days to get back to me about the repair, and then a further 3 to post it back to store). They say that my warranty was voided, which as I've explained is pure fiction.

Even if there was a clause in the contract I signed that said "we are not liable for repairs if you have absolutely tiny marks on the back of the phone, and these void your warranty" it wouldn't really be legal in any case. Even though neither your equipment agreement nor apples warranty says anything of the sort.

Infact your equipment agreement says the exact opposite: 

" If you bought your Equipment or SIM Card directly from us and it is defective, not in accordance with any description given to you by us, not reasonably fit for purpose or it develops a fault, you’ll be able to return it for repair and, if appropriate, replacement or refund if you follow our repair and returns policy."

This is your statutory rights in a nutshell, which I already knew and have explained to you.

Nowhere is this get out of jail free card your repair centre are banging on about.

I'm now waiting on a call back from a customer service manager, and have been for 5 hours.

Considering I've for the past 5 years always bought, your most expensive phone, on your most expensive tariff and bought accessories on top of this, it's a pretty shocking way to treat a customer, and there is little if any chance that I will be dealing with you again.

Infact I'll probably just take off the bolt ons and buy myself out the contract and go elsewhere, so you will in effect have done yourself out of £10 bolt on x11 + a new 24 month contract and whatever accessories I bought at the time. All for the sake of repairing a phone  for a customer that complied with all your own policies.

Unless this manager can somehow fix the problem and offer something for me having to be without my phone twice, and you causing this farce in the first place. 😕

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145931 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28087 Solutions
Unfortunately this is typical of network repair centres. Always deal with the manufacturer when possible ( I know you are out of Apple warranty) but being so close it has to be worth a try with them...?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 6

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

My iPhone 4 had a problem with the Home Button.  I took it along to an O2 shop and they told me it would be weeks before I would get my phone back.  They told me to go along to the Apple store and book an appointment.  I booked an appointment for later that day, and they replaced the phone for me.  It had ran out of warranty but only by a few days so they waivered the fee of £119! 

Samsung S8
Message 3 of 6

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I've had same issues not just wit O2 but with other phone companies.

As pickles already said. Speak direct with Apple. I've found them great in the past.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
My closest one is an hour away (Glasgow I'm in edinburgh) and on the phone they said that there was nothing they could do. Hmm might try them tho ! Definitely the last ill be having to do with O2 tho its just a complete customer service failure 😕
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some good advice here.

To the original poster - saying a chip in the back has voided your warranty is complete nonsense. 

Examples of stuff not covered under warranty would be:  parts tampered with (diy repairs); accidental damage caused by you (where the accident is why the phone needs repaired - things like water damage, impact damage etc).

Your situation is that theres a chip/gouge/scratchmark which can't possibly have caused the headphone jack failure, screen discolouration and phone turning itself off randomly UNLESS the scratch/chip is so deep that the insides of the phone got damaged with it.

To me it seems that

- headphone jack issue is a failure of the catch mechanism at the bottom of the jack

- screen discolouration is pixel failure

- phone turning off randomly is a software failure.

Speak to Apple; although its out of warranty now they may help and tend to replace the phone on the spot if they agree its a warranty/mechanical failure.

Failing that, I'd raise a complaint with O2 and push until they resolve.

Message 6 of 6