Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharp practice at O2 shop, Union Square, Aberdeen

milouvision
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have been an O2 customer for many years with my last phone upgrade in 2008. After this phone started playing up, I upgraded on 29th June to a S23 Ultra using the O2 shop at Union Square, Aberdeen.  The process was very smooth (aside from a number retention issue) and as part of the upgrade package, I was advised that I could purchase a pair of ear buds for £1 (again a smooth transaction) and also, as part of a promotion for these top end phones, Samsung had offers for a 512 phone as against a 256 and was including a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 32GB. Fab I thought. I do not need that but as it is a freebie, I can give that away.

My phone pinged with various texts/emails – “that’s the order confirmation”, “that’s the contract terms” etc but on-one said, oh by the way, that tab is going to cost you £5 per month for next 30 months (leaving aside a 250mb pm data allowance – 250?!). If I had been so advised, I would have said no thanks.

I appreciate it’s not a huge sum but having just called 02, I’ve been advised that’s nothing to be done.

So…if you are upgrading and are offered a ‘free’ Galaxy tab as part of a Samsung promotion, be aware there are hidden undiscussed costs. This sort of a sharp practice deserves a wider audience.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@milouvision 

The Samsung Tab A7 lite comes in 2 versions : Wifi Only or Cellular. If you have the cellular version that means you have a sim installed and the £5 is the charge for the airtime. So you can use it when out of Wifi range. The £5.00 is for the airtime you use. ie Internet, texts etc.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@milouvision 

You can always have taken the Tablet back under the 14day change of mind, as agree that is a bit cheeky of the shop to not tell you..  

But as you have left it till August there is nothing that can be done as you are deemed to have accepted the charges. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 9

milouvision
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Incorrect. £4 is for the device, and a £1 for the data. But that's not the point of my post.

Message 4 of 9

milouvision
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Aye, there is the ability to exchange but I was only notified about the £5 charge on 14 August when O2 mentioned my bill was viewable.

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@milouvision 

The point of your post was your annoyance at paying £5 for the tablet. You never mentioned £4 in your first post only £5? I was explaining £5 would be for the airtime you were charged BY O2.

As said, you could have returned it within 14 days , or even asked for a Wifi only model.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@milouvision wrote:

Aye, there is the ability to exchange but I was only notified about the £5 charge on 14 August when O2 mentioned my bill was viewable.

You can complain @milouvision. Follow the info here https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain.

Try Resolver, an independent body which is known to have good results for customers.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

milouvision
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

There was no need to state the difference between cellular and WiFi. It's a little like me explaining to you that a monthly payment to O2 may include a cost for a phone and a charge for data and texts. It's somewhat axiomatic.

My post is pretty clear. Just to re-iterate, the annoyance is being charged for something that was stated to be a Samsung free gift. The tablet was not asked for. I was not told at the time there was a charge. I only became aware of the charge when 02 emailed on 14 August to advise that I could view my online only bill. 

Whilst the annoyance is ancillary, the main point is the last paragraph; viz"...if you are upgrading and are offered a ‘free’ Galaxy tab as part of a Samsung promotion, be aware there are hidden undiscussed costs."

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 123367 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@milouvision 

You are not the only person to read these posts!

I can assure you that many new members would be grateful to know the difference between the two devices (Wifi or Cellular) and that cellular would require a payment of £5 per month to use the airtime.

I did advise you to complain. If you choose not to, that's your choice.

Now as your only reason was to come on here to rant and be sarcastic,  I'll leave you to it. Best of luck.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9