Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

RockyV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife and I have received a bill, albeit small, for a few Mb’s for roaming in Dubai, yet our data was switched off from the moment we left UK until we returned? We know our phones so not tech biffs! Anyone else had this? We are new to O2 so tbh feeling suspicious of them at the moment.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10126 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@RockyV 

Some apps will connect / send sms whilst roaming, even if data is switched off.... As you give them permission to use the phone. 

It could also be things like WiFi Assist, connecting if a drop in Wifi is detected. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6506 Posts
  • 48 Topics
  • 1472 Solutions

As above. Some phones seem to use a small amount of data even when things are turned off. Normally you would not even notice but when roaming out of the EU it becomes obvious.

Posts like yours are not uncommon on other networks' forums.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 4

Wod
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hmm the system can use data for things like APN updater which I guess could be happening when roaming even if roaming is turned off since the device may need to configure itself for better connectivity.

Also some other system apps particularly if related to security, like carrier services often can override in the same way APN updater can.

I'm curious though if this is an Android system, was roaming also disabled aswell as network data? 

Message 4 of 4