cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Handset also faulty

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if others may have experience or advice on the following?

purchased a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact online in May 2014 on O2 Refresh. For 11 months, it was the best handset I had ever owned. Then my problems began.

I started having troubles with charging the device. I went into an O2 store on the 10th April 2015 and it was sent away for repair. I got the device back on 15th April stating that it was a loose usb causing my troubles. I returned home and within a week, it was having the same trouble. It was sent off for repair again on 21st April. It returned to store on 24th April with a note explaining that no fault could be found. Sure enough, I experienced the same problem the same day. It was sent back within and hour of me collecting it on 24th April.

On 29th April, my handset was back in store. This time, I was sent a replacement. At first glance it look as in good condition as my last (which was as good as new).

This was not to be. After an hour or so of re-configuring my information on the device and updating the software, I noticed the "vibrate" function had a mind of its own. It works intermittently and useless to me whilst in "silent" mode on which I rely. I was disappointed to find my replacement was a refurbished handset. 

As a keen photographer, My main reason for purchasing this device was for the camera. Upon inspection, I noticed what appears to be a hair or fiber right across the camera lens. I tried to blow it off, only to discover it was under the casing and in the lens itself. My replacement had more faults than my original device.

Feeling incredibly let down, I went back to the O2 store where I was informed my "new" phone could be sent back for repair. While although polite, It was claimed there was little more they could do.

This time angry, I went onto the complaints section of the o2 website where it tells me I can talk to someone about my complaint by calling 202. Having called this number, there is in fact no option to make a complaint. 

I relented and used the "chat" feature. Which is where I come to the climax and quite frankly, appalling part of my experience. 

After talking to roughly 8 people (after being transferred between departments) I was informed I could have another refurbished replacement. I do not consider this to be an acceptable replacement, firstly because I have lost all faith in this device to function without serious issue and secondly, because I do not trust the repair center to send a fully functioning device which has been checked as thoroughly as claimed. Or, I could cancel my contract (which I seriously considered doing as I do not feel a valued customer). This would cost me the £180 I have remaining on my phone contact, effectively, this means paying £360 for a phone that still does not work properly.

At every turn, I have felt let down by O2. I have spent the best part of a month without a fully functioning device, I am continuing to pay for a service I am not receiving and when I attempted to complain about the service, it fell on deaf ears.

What I have been offered is not an acceptable solution. Having has 2 faulty devices, I do not want to risk a third for the £25 a month I am paying. 

I sent the above information to the Complaints Review Service but I don't hold out much hope.

Message 1 of 38
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I would snap their hand off in a flash.
Sony refurbish all Xperia handsets themselves to maintain ip ratings.
Message 27 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

What an absolutely appalling state of affairs. It's difficult to advise because you seem to have done most things.

I think O2 offering you a refurbished handset is normal practice....but as you say... you would expect this to be in good condition and working well...

When you say you have complained did you do it via O2's Complaints service ?

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 38

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've got to be honest, the technical side of O2 service isn't great. O2 repair actually is sub-contracted to Anovo UK who are terrible. It's like the call centre of phone engineering.

One time, when I had use them to repair my current handset they pretty much done nothing other than kick-start the battery when I had a problem with the USB charge port. The remaining problems were resolved by a system reset and a small amount of inert gas sprayed into the port.

I'm sure Anovo UK do have sucessful cases for when their 'clients matter'.

:manfrustrated:

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes I did. I tried calling 202 as mentioned above, but once you call, there is no option to complain!

I used the chat feature instead. It took the best part of 3 hours to finally talk to a floor manager of the complaints department. He offered me the same option... A new refurbished replacement. 

I asked to speak to his supervisor but apparently he was the highest authority I could talk to.

I'm at a loss now. I still have a defunct phone

Message 4 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to admit, I am not technically minded. I wouldn't know how to check a repair.

What started out as an intermittent charging issue has escalated. In fact, my "new" phone is in worse condition than my original. 

Message 5 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I would say half of your time has been wasted by talking to Live Chat. Sorry to say... but they have a poor record dealing with anything but the most basic of queries. When you ring Customer services directly on the numbers shown in the How to Complain link ...you have to tell them, when connected, that you want to complain.

It may well be that they offer you another handset but they are within their rights to do that. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it really is your only option. You could write to them at the address given....but this is time consuming and still leaves you without a phone...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured as much.

I followed the "how to complain" section of the o2 website. Under mobile option is says to call 202. I did... 5 times and there is no option on the list to make a complaint

Message 7 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I figured as much.

I followed the "how to complain" section of the o2 website. Under mobile option is says to call 202. I did... 5 times and there is no option on the list to make a complaint

I realise that but just choose anything out of all of the options you are given. At least you will be connected to someone who will know how to proceed further .... really sorry I cant be more helpful. They are open tomorrow...

Pay MonthlyFrom your mobile
Free
From a landline
0344 8090202
Standard UK Rate
 Mon-Fri 08:00-21:00
Sat 08:00-20:00
Sun 08:00-18:00

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,

I'm trying to only call when I'm calm! I'll try again.

I think I'm going to have to get external advice on this one. Perhaps the Citizens Advice or the Onbudsman.  

Quite honestly, I don't want to spend another week with o2

Message 9 of 38

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I might be technically minded however I don't know everything or have the resources/skills to fix everything myself which is why I get frustrated when people mess me around. 

Recently I bought some earphones from Shure UK. The repair/replace was excellent and hassle free which is what happens when you are dealing with the company direct. O2 is a host of different departments all passing the buck to who gets paid to do certain things.

One time I had an issue with Comet with a music system, so I sent it away and one week later it came back the same. I called them up and they informed me "You're not an engineer and you don't know what you're talking about".

Then I contacted the actual repair company directly and arranged for it to be re-checked. It came back again the same. Angrilly I recalled them, stating my problem in more technical terminology so they wouldn't take me for a fool. 3 days later it came back fixed or at least better than it went way. It was manufactering fault. The reality is I should have got the next model upwards without the issue which costs about the same.

OK my whole point is, deal with Sony direct as they will be able to advice you properly and won't want a bad reputation. Then again, thinking back to the laptop fiasco......

Anyway I hope you get something resolved soon.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 10 of 38