cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair bill too high

Anonymous
Not applicable

A few weeks ago I dropped my lumia 930 from literally a foot (it slid from my pocket as I crouched down.) It must have hit the corner in the perfect spot because the entire screen fracturered.

I took it to my local 02 store and have been given a quote of £220 to repair it - this seems fairly extortionate for a new screen. I still have a year left on my contract, so would have to pay £180 to purchase the broken phone.

I discovered today that I hve phone insruance through my bank, but I haven't registered the phone with them, so that avenue is a no go.

Do I have any options here, or do I have to suck it up and pay for another year of use on a phone I can't use? 

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can ask for it to be returned to you and shop around for a better price.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can ask for it to be returned to you and shop around for a better price.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Or if you know someone who is capable you could buy a new screen and get them to fit it for you...Much cheaper option altogether...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You would invalidate any remaining warranty though if a non authorised repair was done on it.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Screen repairs are expensive but you can either get a cheaper price elsewhere or cheaper to pay off the device plan & upgrade or buy a cheaper phone & pit your current sim in until your contract is up
Message 5 of 13

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
They are not hard to fit, buy a screen on ebay that comes with to torx and fit it yourself. YouTube videos can help you.

What bank are you with, as BoS and Halifax doesn't require you to register damage. Only for loss and unauthorised airtime
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Halifax requires I register the IMEI to keep my cover active, so not sure why anyone else would be different. Tbh, I wouldn't recommend a screen repair be attempted by anyone without experience as it's very simple to tear a data ribbon without knowing it, and a costly mistake to make.
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I only suggested it in my first post (with the proviso of someone who was capable)..... as my son worked for Unipart reparing mobile phones and he could replace screens with no problem.  Family members, who have mobiles out of warranty, often ask for his help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Not sure where the info on BoS comes from either as you definitely need to register the imei with them also! @Curr946 maybe you could enlighten us on your statement?
Message 9 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
So I have just been back into the T&Cs and they were updated on 25 November 2015. The new ones don't specifically say you need to register in advance, but it does say you will need to provide the IMEI and proof of ownership if making a claim. Then, in the common questions section it say you "can" register by calling etc...

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/help-guidance/common-enquiries/ultimate-reward-current-account...

http://www.bankofscotland.com/bankaccounts/terms-conditions/

But, given the new wording, I would be registering. And I have now does this also slight_smile
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 13