Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Providing one time codes to O2

Henrique
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

is it ok to provide a one time code over the phone to o2 as long as I called them? I received a one time code randomly and was concerned someone was trying to access my account. I phoned O2 by calling 202 from my mobile and they asked for the one time code. I was reluctant to provide this since the message said to never share it, not even with O2 staff. She insisted that because I called them I could share it. Is there any risk that I shared the code with the O2 operator?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

O2 usually send two text messages. The first saying they are about to send the code and not to share it and the second the code itself which is usually entered on the website.

Never heard of CS wanting the code.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

Henrique
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

She said it was for her to confirm it was me since I called them. She said they would never ask for the code if they call me. I called 202 from my O2 mobile though so surely there is no risk? 

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144449 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27680 Solutions

@Henrique 

In this instance I'd say you were safe, but you should never give a website code to anyone in future.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4