Did you mean: 

Problems getting phone # changed with Virgin Volt SIM

GeorgeN
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,
Last Sunday 12th Feb I moved over to a new Virgin package -- the "Ultimate Volt bundle".

As part of this package there was an offer for an O2 SIM with unlimited data. I was already an O2 customer with an out-of-contract monthly plan. As a consequence, the new O2 SIM was associated with a new phone # (and O2 ID). Both Virgin and O2 customer support (CS) however told me that O2 could merge the two O2 IDs, transferring the old number and ID onto the new Volt SIM, and gave the impression that this was a pretty simple, routine request.

So I asked O2 CS for this to be done. After various phone calls later in the week, however, I ended up with the exact opposite of what I wanted --namely the new (Volt) number was now associated with the old SIM and O2 ID. So I had to get work IT to change 2FA; tell people my phone # had temporarily changed etc ...
Yesterday, my old phone number was re-associated with the old SIM and O2 ID. But no sign of the Volt SIM on my accounts.

Today I phoned CS and was told by a supervisor (confirming what I had not believed from the original CS person) that a *3rd* SIM would be sent to me within 1--3 working days, associated with old phone number and O2 ID but the Volt unlimited data package. I live in hope ...

I cannot fathom how what seems a simple common and obvious request could get so messed up that O2 have to send a further SIM. I'm also annoyed that I've wasted 3--4 hours on the phone for something that should be so simple. I've had at least a week of uncertainty about what phone number will actually be working, and have had to mess work IT around.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36659 Posts
  • 236 Topics
  • 1636 Solutions

Your number move from old Virgin SIM to new O2 SIM may have been delayed because porting is fraught with difficulty currently - more on porting between networks and/or plan types on O2 here: Guide: Migration & porting into O2 @GeorgeN.

Also Volt is associated with the name and address to which your O2 and Virgin Media services are tied, and a "Volt SIM" is essentially any O2 Contract SIM (Refresh, reseller bundle or SIMO) - you need to activate Volt in your MyO2, more info here: Volt Megaguide - the big red and blue Volt sign-up link is on most pages on the O2 website as well, if your MyO2 is not yet activated:

Screenshot_20230221-064016.png

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2