cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Hotspot/Tethering iPhone 4 in non 3G coverage area

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am getting moved onto the new tariff that allows tethering on 3 April. Because I want to be able to occasionally use my wifi only iPad in a non wifi area, so the new tariff is ideal for me has it works out cheaper than to purchase a 3G & wifi iPad (which is £100 more expensive than the wifi only version plus the cost of a data tariff for it too).
I was wondering, is it possible to still Personal Hotspot/Tether when you are in a non 3G coverage area, i.e. EDGE, GPRS coverage only?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
In another thread it says yes but it is obviously very slow.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
In another thread it says yes but it is obviously very slow.

Thanks for the help its much appreciated. I thought that it might be possible but slow, at least it would be a connection I suppose, I imagine it would be ok for checking, sending email or a very light bit of surfing.
Do you have the link to the other thread you mention?
Thanks again slight_smile
Message 3 of 21

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
forget which thread but this from the support pages
http://tinyurl.com/3lvmgn8
The usage experience can differ based on the connection you are using.

2G/EDGE Connection
You will be able to receive and send SMS/MMS without losing connection however data speed can slow down.
Data connection will be lost if a call is made.
Incoming calls will be diverted to voicemail if you are actually transferring data on your computer at the time the call comes in. If you're Internet tethering but not actually transferring data then incoming calls can be received. You will need to reconnect the Internet tethering connection after the call.

3G Connection
You will be able to receive and send SMS/MMS without losing connection however data speed can slow down.
Simultaneous voice calls and data is possible when on the 3G network so your Internet tethering remains connected if a call is made/received.

Wi-Fi
If you're using The Cloud Wi-Fi on your computer then your iPhone and computer are not actually connected, so this has no impact on iPhone usage at all. All services will work as normal.
Share this
Share | ..Topics 1 to 10 of 15 1 2 Next
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
forget which thread but this from the support pages
http://tinyurl.com/3lvmgn8
The usage experience can differ based on the connection you are using.

2G/EDGE Connection
Data connection will be lost if a call is made.
Incoming calls will be diverted to voicemail if you are actually transferring data on your computer at the time the call comes in. If you're Internet tethering but not actually transferring data then incoming calls can be received. You will need to reconnect the Internet tethering connection after the call.

3G Connection
Simultaneous voice calls and data is possible when on the 3G network so your Internet tethering remains connected if a call is made/received.

Wi-Fi
If you're using The Cloud Wi-Fi on your computer then your iPhone and computer are not actually connected, so this has no impact on iPhone usage at all. All services will work as normal.
Share this
Share | ..Topics 1 to 10 of 15 1 2 Next

Thanks for that, its much appreciated.
Though it doesn't mention GPRS, I expect that it will be possible, albeit slower than when using EDGE.
Message 5 of 21

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
gprs is 2g
Apple Watch series 4

Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
gprs is 2g

Or I see, thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated slight_smile
Message 7 of 21

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
http://www.o2.co.uk/network/more look at speed
gprs 2.5g edge 2.75g but all on 2g network
Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
http://www.o2.co.uk/network/more look at speed
gprs 2.5g edge 2.75g but all on 2g network

Thanks very much for that useful link.
I've just tried out the Personal Hotspot feature now on my iPhone, as my new tariff became active today.
My present location I'm in a weak 3G area and tend to switch over to EDGE.
I've just tried Hotspotting/Tethering my iPad and was surprised at how fast the full Facebook website page loaded up on it, I noticed it taking no longer to load up has what it usually does on my broadband connection. slight_smile
Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I went to a friends house yesterday. Their location has GPRS coverage only.
I was able to still Personal Hotspot/Tether my iPad to my iPhone via GPRS, albeit been very slow, but a usable connection on my iPad nevertheless.
Thanks again for the help everyone : )
Message 10 of 21