Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 device plan is a SCAM!,

Ebritton14
Level 3: Thinker
  • 59 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So guys if any of you ordered an iPhone XS Max brand new when they were released, make sure you weren't overcharged!! I was overcharged by £158 as the retail of my version was £1249 at the time on Apple themselves, however the device plan was £1407.99 on o2 which they have refused to rectify. I have put in a complaint to o2 which will hopefully be sorted, but did threaten them with the ombudsman, which they got scared of and assured me o2s complaints would get a good outcome. So check!! If you have a Xs Max 256gb check you were not charged over 1249. Or at most any more than 1300!!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Ebritton14 

I'm afraid this "scam" as you call it is perfectly legal.

O2 or any other retailer have the right to charge whatever they choose for a device as long as the price is clearly displayed.

O2 provide all pricing information at the point of sale.

Yes it's more than Apple charge, but it's not a scam.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Funnily enough I watched Watchdog last night and they did a piece on the worst network based on coverage and price. O2 and EE were the worst overall. Coverage was middle of the table, but price was bottom being the highest. Tesco came top. Funny that, as they run on the O2 network....upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello @Ebritton14
Sorry you feel so aggrieved. Hope you can get some satisfaction from your complaint.
I do a lot of pricing research before I commit to a purchase of anything, I find then I can make informed decisions even if I choose to take a higher offer for different reasons.
Good luck JAZZ
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

With O2 you do get Refresh, Open discount and Priority....Refresh tariffs are the main reason people go for O2, and the chance to upgrade early. Each to their own choice though.

I am lucky enough to have my own phone bought outright, so am Sim only. I wait until there is a sale or offer on and usually get a better deal than the one I'm on currently.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Ebritton14
  • 59 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for all the replies guys, next time I will do more research into the prices. The thing that gets me is I went into an o2 store before I did the upgrade and they told me that the price of the device is never more than the retail price which is what makes their plans so good. Next year I am definitely not going to bother upgrading my other line, I’m looking into other networks
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What you were told was definitely a lie as they are always higher than RRP unless they are older models that are being discounted.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 12

Ebritton14
  • 59 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I know it’s legal... the thing is though in the o2 store I was assured the price isn’t more than what it is in retail stores such as Apple. And also at the time i could not find the pricing anywhere. And even now it’s still extremely difficult, you should be able to see it without clicking anything
Message 9 of 12

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good luck with whatever you decide to do @Ebritton14
JAZZ
Message 10 of 12