Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 data compression, discuss.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
So I read before that users had issues when streaming video on 3g / 4g and I said I had not encountered this myself, until now..
You see before I was on O2 branded firmware as it offered more network choices for my phone and I like to select 2g only when on WiFi for extended periods.
Never had a problem with video streaming.
Recently I tried a bit of lollipop and then flashed back to UK Customised (sim free unbranded) in anticipation of 5.0.2 and have noticed the exact problems others were talking about. Video is poor, lower quality and looks compressed to hell when compared with previous experiences.
Looking at the firmware releases, I noticed that in o2 branded firmware, the modem build is different to the UK Customised but that UK Customised matches most other networks.
So, is it possible that streaming is better when using o2 direct firmware then the compressed garbage I'm seeing on the UK Customised combined firmware?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 would have to deploy some kind of upscaling into the software too to achieve that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have asked myself this very question and recently added a new APN with the username of bypass and all other details same as o2 apn. Works a dream.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

this might be informative for you slight_smile

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1298390

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yeah we know about that but obviously uses your data at warp speed too wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

offtopic:  i may try it and do 2 speed tests and see if it help me ... wish me luck

Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No need to waste your data testing it - it does work if you have sufficient allowances.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I can't 'discuss' it @viridis  as I don't understand it....Smiley Embarassed

However, I can read what folk say, follow the thread and hopefully learn from it.....:smileywink:

(Cleo... with honest head on)....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

well the data speed in my area is unbarable sometimes i cant even watch anything on netflix, sky go or even youtube without it buffering every 3-4 min .. so if it works ill leave it on ... i get 10 gig and never use 6 g most months so i should be ok ?

Message 9 of 15

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Most of the data compression happens in the data to video conversion in the applications codec used. So it may be down to a couple of things other than the data transmission from the O2 masts itself, which will be using the same source as the branded firmware.

Chrome employs data compression on images and video by default unless you turn it off in the options as well.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 10 of 15