cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel is utterly pathetic and not worth the money

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently went to France (Brittany) and every web page I attempted to load took approx 10 attempts with a 1 minute time-out between each. The service is apparently throttled for foreign O2 users... How the company has the audacity, nay temerity, to charge 2 GBP per day for this is beyond me. It was so pathetic I am even considering moving my 4 phones to another service. That is all.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123010 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

And another side to the tale...I use it in Spain and would say my connection is better there than here in the UK:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

That is true. After you have downloaded a certain amount of data in one day it gets throttled until the next day.
It's all in the T&C's https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe

"* There's no upper limit on Pay Monthly, but traffic management steps apply. If you're on Pay and Go, there's a daily usage allowance of 50MB. If you reach this you can simply reset your daily allowance by text for £1.99."

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You can unfortunately only go off your own experience. Throttling should only occur after 100mb if you are on contract unless the foreign network have their own systems in place for roaming?

I haven't heard of anyone else complaining of data speed in all honesty...

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
The service is good for some but not for others usage patterns.

The differences between contract and Payg Travel are not exactly fair but that's how it is.
Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions
Unlimited data for £1.99 a day is not to be sniffed at, in all honesty....
It will all be included soon anyway so not worth getting excited about imho.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 123010 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The service is good for some but not for others usage patterns.

Obviously it is dependent on what you as an individual do with it when abroad.. As I tend to use WiFi when I can then my usage of the O2 data will be less than otherwise...

However when I have been 'forced' to use it, I remain 'amazed' at how fast it is...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions
The network you are roaming on has a huge bearing on it too.
If it's having it's own problems it ain't get get any quicker just because an O2 customer rocks up and connects wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 9 of 18

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I used it in Mijas, Spain and it worked a treat. However 100MB is NOT enough, how is a man suppost to watch BBC iPlayer tongue just kidding. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 10 of 18