Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Standards falling

NetworkNorm
Level 3: Thinker
  • 64 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
A couple of days ago I had the most frustrating call with O2 Customer Service so I thought I would share it with you.

Here's the background:

I've been a customer of O2 since 1997, travel abroad frequently and have used the O2 Travel Service since it began.

I received my bill a couple of days ago and noticed that I had been charged standard roaming rates for my recent trip to France, rather than the £1.99 for 15mb as per O2 Travel.

I rang O2 to query this and here is where the fun started..

Firstly I was told that O2 Travel wasn't on my account, to which I replied that I had never asked for it to be removed. I was told that as O2 had sent me a text whilst I was abroad to set out what the roaming charges were, they weren't prepared to refund the difference between what I'd been charged and the O2 Travel cost.

I said that this wasn't reasonable and certainly not the way to treat a long standing customer. I asked to speak to a Supervisor.l after being out on hold for 5 minutes I was told that the Supervisor wasn't available and I would be called back at some point within 24 hours. I stood my ground and said this was unreasonable and eventually a supervisor was able to talk to me.

Firstly I was told that O2 Travel was removed when I upgraded on the 1 October last year. I replied that I had not been told of this.. She then looked further and said that when I had asked for the data cap to be removed when I had gone to the US in late October, this had removed O2 travel as the 2 weren't compatible. Again I explained that this wasn't explained to me.

I was then asked if I had 'phoned O2 before my most recent trip aboard to which I replied that given I travel abroad, mainly to Europe, several times a year why on earth was I expected to call each time? She replied that it was to make sure I had the right service on m account - which I thought I already had.

She then told me that as I hadn't phoned to notify O2 of my travel plans that she still wouldn't refund the charges.

I then nearly, but didn't, lose it. I calmly explained that this wasn't really the best way to treat a loyal customer and that what I was asking for, which amounted to £10', wasn't unreasonable. After a lengthy debate she eventually agreed on the proviso that I ring O2 each and every time I travel abroad!

Absolutely pathetic service from O2 and makes me wonder why I remain

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

This is easy if you need to go to usa and need cap removing ring. On return ring and get the cap removed and o2 travel reinstated.

A pain but they are not compatable so that is the way it works not what you want to hear .

But you should not have to do it every trip to europe after that.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
If O2 Travel is active it will be shown in your "My O2".
There is no need to call everytime you travel if it is showing as active there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear of your woes.

If your unhappy with 02 as your wondering why you stay with them and are out of a contractual agreement then look at other networks travel policies and charges although you may find O2 are competitive and that they give you solid signal where you live , work and commute.

Take care.
Message 4 of 5

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I'm sorry about the problems that you are experiencing NetworkNorm.

I am too a long(ish) serving loyal customer of O2 and I had a problem with them last year and it went on for weeks and I was tempted to look elsewhere.  I too stood my ground and always asked to speak to a supervisor as I presumed they would have some authority and could help me further, but sadly I was wrong.

You have done everything that I would of suggested in terms of contacting O2 to discuss your account.

As bandofbrothers said, if you are not happy with your network, then you are not happy with your network. 

You should look around at other networks and see what their policies are regarding travelling abroad and if their policies are more reasonable then I suggest that you change networks.  Please check that you can get coverage in your area and abroad on a new network prior to changing networks. 

Message 5 of 5