Did you mean: 

O2 Community on mobile - full view VS mobile view

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

I hope you're all having a good week so far!

We know a few of you access the Community only via their mobile phone, while some might only do so occasionally and mainly use their computer nerd

Today we'd like to get some feedback from you on the two different views available when using the Community on your mobile: the full view and the mobile view.

IMG_5253.jpg

What do you think are the pros and cons of each of these versions at the moment?

Which one do you usually use?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

Thanks!

Update:

So far, here is the feedback we've got:

• Full view

. Crammed view and hard to read.

• Mobile view

. No option to quote, add emojis, pictures, videos, links, format, or edit in a new post or reply (but options are there in PMs).

. @ function doesn’t prompt list of participants.

. Flag function is called “Report inappropriate content” instead of “Report content”.

. Only possible to Report the first post of any topic, as there’s no “options” dropdown in the top right corner of the posts.

. Topic views do not show on thread level as they do in Full view.

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieTWhen I use my mobile to access the forum I always switch to FULL view.

Personally I think mobile view is a bit of a waste of time. Full view is like using a mini PC...whereas there is a lot missing in mobile view.

Having said all that, unread posts in both mobile and full are pathetic, unless you turn your phone sideways to landscape mode. Same when you access PM's.

If I had anything to do with it I would request Mobile should be set to FULL view as default.

My opinion.... for what it's worth Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 55

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I use both mobile and full view @EmilieT.

If I'm just reading posts then I prefer mobile view as I find it easier to read the title of each thread. I find reading the titles of threads difficult in full view. I also prefer mobile view if I'm setting up a new thread.

If I then want to post in a particular thread I continue to use mobile view. It's only when I want to reply to a particular post do I switch to full view as I can then access the forum emojis, include a picture or type in bold.

Personally, as I only have my mobile to access the forum, I prefer having the choice of both mobile and full view.

I don't have a problem reading unread posts or PMs in mobile view, which is the way I always read them. And I would like this to continue.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 55

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The above answers show the complete difference between two people who use different methods of using mobile to access the forum wink

It's well documented that I hardly ever use my mobile (except when I'm out and about)

Whereas @Glory1 uses her mobile as the only method of access.

My preference is always my computer....

If I'm travelling on holiday or even away for a long weekend, my laptop comes with me. innocent 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 55

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Mobile view is handy for a quick reply or short post.

If I want to link in pics, videos, emojis.... it's over to Full view.

Mobile view is great to see what's going on when browsing various sections; Full view is really very very cramped when scrolling down, the titles all get cramped into a box down the left side of the display, absolutely useless.

Screenshots to follow as I switch to Full view to add the pics (cannot copy-paste on the mobie phone, that I have found!).

Screenshot_20180718-213518.jpgTop is Full view on my landing page, lower is the mobile view. 

Screenshot_20180718-213450.jpg

See why it is necessary to flip between the two, given editing is so constrained in mobile view? 

Message 5 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I’m using my iPhone (as I am now), then I find that the layout of the mobile site just scales better on a small screen, so I would rarely switch from the default setting. If I do need any additional functionality (such as editing or quoting), I’d switch between the two sites as and when it’s required.

On my iPad the layout defaults to the full site anyway, as it’s able to take advantage of the larger screen. To be honest though, I rarely take it out of the house, and that’s where the majority of my posts are made, as I do find it easier to work that way.

If I’m using my iPhone when I’m out and about, I’m more likely to be reading stuff, and posts like this one are quite rare. If I’m feeling more productive, it can usually wait until I get home.
Message 6 of 55

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Thanks @pgn you make the point I was trying to make better than me and the screenshots help. And I totally agree with you.

Also agree with @Anonymous about entering the forum using a tablet. On the rare occasion I enter the forum on my Kindle the only option is full view which is fine on a larger screen.

Speaking personally, it's really a question of what I'm going to do as to which view I use and I do often switch between the two. And the same seems to apply to @pgn and @Anonymous. The 3 of us like the option of switching between the two. Unless, of course, a better full view design can be made for mobile. Which I doubt will ever happen.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 55

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Glad somebody scrolled down through those 2 mega Screenshots, @Glory1.

Oh and the @ function only works in full view, where it prompts you for the names of those interacting on a discussion - try that in Mobile view, @EmilieT, and you've got a bit of typing to do, as well as hoping you've spelled the name correctly... Bow

Message 8 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn wrote:

Glad somebody scrolled down through those 2 mega Screenshots, @Glory1.

Oh and the @ function only works in full view, where it prompts you for the names of those interacting on a discussion - try that in Mobile view, @EmilieT, and you've got a bit of typing to do, as well as hoping you've spelled the name correctly... Bow

make that a plus 1@pgn who 'screened down those 2 mega Screenshots' smiling

Message 9 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:

Speaking personally, it's really a question of what I'm going to do as to which view I use and I do often switch between the two. And the same seems to apply to @pgn and @Anonymous. The 3 of us like the option of switching between the two. Unless, of course, a better full view design can be made for mobile. Which I doubt will ever happen.

It’s a difficult one to address without accepting some compromises, but the BBC seem to have made a decent fist of it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31966686

In our forums it would remove the need to keep switching between the two sites, and coincidentally, giffgaff have been playing around with that kind of technology for a couple of years already. Unfortunately, it’s proven to be a backward step in that community, as Lithium are still struggling to make the technology work with all makes of handset, and even some of the latest flagship models are experiencing issues with it.  

It’s one of the reasons why I’m spending more time in this community instead  wink

Message 10 of 55