cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a new scam but the call forward scam is still being used

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a new scam but one that causes endless problems and pain and one I wanted to make you all aware of.

On the 5th of September 2013 a fraudster rang O2 and setup a call forward on my account. How he managed to do this is a mystery as my memorable word "mothers maiden name" is not in fact her maiden name but one I made up specifically for my O2 account.

The 202 operator told me the fraudster knew the above word, hard to believe as it's only in my head. I'm not a stranger to fraud or identity theft given I'm an IT Professional in IT Security recently supporting a large insurance company previously supporting a bank. So as you might imagine my levels of security on my own systems and accounts are not the same as the average user.

Being required to follow extremely high levels of professionalism and security in your work rubs off, not only that but seeing the issues bad security causes others on a daily basis can be alarming. Thereby motivating you to practice sometimes extreme measures to protect yourself.

The said fraudster had arranged the call forward to receive a call back from my bank, he transferred £15,000 to an account in the USA. It turns out he knew a lot of things about my bank account, so much so that I can't help but wonder if it was an inside job. Now he may have found another way to perform his fraud but had my O2 account not been breached it may have slowed or stopped him in his tracks.

What is more worrying is both the banks and mobile operators are aware of this kind of fraud, which makes me wonder why they haven't implemented a simple second level of security ie text the registered user when a call forward is configured "Your number has just been forwarded to xxxxxx xxxxxx if this is correct reply 1 if not reply 9". Very simple to implement and a process already used by banks etc.

I'm still waiting for O2 to reply to my requests for the incoming fraudsters call to be reviewed 21 days after alerting them to this. I've also made a number of calls to 202 and emailed the complaint review team on more than one occasion. Most of the replies are towing the company line with the usual phrases:

"I understand this episode has been stressful for you. Please treat this situation as a one off, but I'm very sorry that you've had such a difficult time recently."

I'd like to inform you that we work under the confines of the Data Protection Act and to keep our customers details safe is our top most priority. We never compromise on our security checks and ensure that we're dealing with the account holder. It may be possible that the fraudster had access to your details due to which he/she was able to make changes to the account."

But the reply to my last email was very annoying:

"I'm sorry for the trouble I understand your frustration but I'm afraid we won't be able to contact our fraud team. So, I'd suggest you to please contact them directly on the number given in my previous email. They'll then help you with your concern."

Is the complaint review team really unable to contact the fraud team, where I work it can contact anyone even my CEO in the states.

So I rang 202 again a very helpful lady immediately tried to transfer me to the fraud team but as they were busy they would ring me back. Surprise surprise another lady rang me back 2 hours later but didn't even know it was a call forwarding fraud in fact she knew nothing about my case at all. She's going to ring me back, there's a surprise and I've insisted they listen to the fraudsters call and inform me truthfully what happened. By the way they only do that when requested??? Surely any fraud investigation requires knowledge of that call but it seems not.

So an incomplete investigation so far and I'm still waiting.
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Carl,

Send me a private message about this and I'll see what I can do to help out.

I'm Toby, the community coordinator.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's worrying that this type of fraud is still going on these days. It is not difficult to implement extra security for such requests and I would be very interested in what O2 and the bank have to say about it.

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

What a mess !

Would you update your thread once the investigation has been completed.

Hope all goes well.

Take care.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do intend to keep you all updated, the £15k has now been returned as well as the charges. Sadly though my new accounts are still not fully setup, so much for the new 7 day account transfer guarantee. I suspect the guarantee doesn't apply in this case sadly.
Message 4 of 15

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Carl,

Send me a private message about this and I'll see what I can do to help out.

I'm Toby, the community coordinator.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it's been a while, had to ring and email many times. Someone now seems to be dealing with this but still no resolution although I'm told new security measures are now in place.

One measure I can't mention yet and the introduction of the request for only a number of characters from your password. I just hope the password isn't displayed in clear text for cs staff in fact no staff member should see your password in clear text. I hope they have to key in characters 2 and 4 for instance and they just get a confirmation that those characters are correct or not. If anyone knows about this I'd be very interested in some confirmation.

More news as and when I have it
Message 6 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Thanks for the update, we're all curious as to how you get on with this.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Getting frustrated now, I was meant to get a call yesterday from Ian (presume he's in the complaints review team although not sure) regarding the above complaint. So far nothing and my patience is running out.

I have info I want to give you all I'm itching to do this but wanted to wait till he'd called again. Mmmm what to do, I'm even thinking of contacting someone like the News of the World well anyone in the national press. There are parts to this story that only O2 and myself know at this stage, that I am so tempted to make public.

I'm sure these revelations would be shocking to everyone and also extremely bad press for O2. I'm even considering contacting a solicitor they are so serious. I hope he rings me soon my fingers are itching to progress this further.

Your community comments? May help me decide what next..................
Message 8 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I would be very careful what I wrote in public if it was me.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure what's stopping me, although I understand your concern. The info I have which I'm so keen to make public was given to me by O2 (Ian as above). It wasn't given with any warnings not to make it public and after all relates to my account and this complaint.
Message 10 of 15