Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NGTS [Next Generation Text Relay (service)]

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Next Generation Text Relay (service) ( also referred to as, NGTR (NGTS)) is a service that helps members with hearing loss and/or speech impairment to make and receive calls.

A relay assistant acts as an intermediary to convert speech to text and vice versa for the two people on the call.

For more information visit the Next Generation Text Service website.

This is a service that O2 supports but I'm not sure it's widely publicised?

More info here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/access-for-all

Don't forget to add the bolt on to your account.

Details here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/bolt-ons/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting @MI5 will be very useful for people who need a little assistance. These small things mean a lot to some people & goes a long way 

Message 2 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This is absolutely excellent. I had never heard of it before. I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't had more publicity?.

The relay assistant is capable of many functions to help the speech or hearing impaired. Excellent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 31

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't had more publicity?.

I couldn't understand that either....

How often do we get people on here who can't call because of speech or hearing impediments - we can give them some useful advice now other than "just use live chat"....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

How often do we get people on here who can't call because of speech or hearing impediments - we can give them some useful advice now other than "just use live chat"....

We can Rich...my only concern is, people will need to know exactly how to use it? I thought the explanation is a tad complicated (or is that just me?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 31

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There is an app for android, iOS, PC and Mac which might make it easier to use?
http://ngts.org.uk/app_index.php

Currently using:
Message 6 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There is an app for android, iOS, PC and Mac which might make it easier to use?
http://ngts.org.uk/app_index.php

Now that I understand. Sort of everything you need to know condensed into one section.

Also I notice the info about NGTS was updated in Dec 2014. Annoyed I knew nothing about it till now if honest...Bookmarked. (lol)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 31

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Yeah, be good if @Martin-O2 could add it to the index thread too?

Edit: Don't worry, I'll do it, lol

Currently using:
Message 8 of 31

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi interesting , very interesting . I havent completely taken it in yet but I will reread the posts again.  

An 02 agent mentioned  something like this system but Id never heard of the system before and certainly didnt understand. Is it a mobile form of text type.?? I wonder how we would manage private family conversations.  How do you receive the equipment ? And would I need another device for the internet...... Definitely Ill ring up.

My only query about it is my texting ability. Would i text quickly and accurately enough. I cant use my thumb I have to use my 1st digit.

On a personal note I read one of your posts re trialling a phone for a relative on behalf of a firm. I'd love to do such things. Three professionals in my career told me I have a skilled analytical brain. Is it summat I could do in retirement.

Message 9 of 31

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Unfortunately I'm no expert on this subject @Jenny105 but I don't believe you need any new or different equipment at all.

As I understand it you just initiate contact using the shortcodes and the service sort of kicks in from there.

If you try it out come back and let us know - you could become our forum expert slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 31