Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW SCAM GOVUK re support

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

On the day (Saturday ) I received 150.00 support into the bank. I received a text about eligibility ffor more support from GOVUK...   with logo.   I ignored this for a long time then thought I'd clink to  open it to see what it was about.   It was then i noticed   GOVUK    not correctly  GOV . UK  and there was a spelling mistake in the first link  rebateid  not rebate . It was sent at 2am 

I did not click on the link  asking for details 

I have informed Action Fraud 

A reply came from  O2 saying they would investigate

I changed several passwords for  sensitive sites   via laptop (not tablet which is my phone)

Removed apps to some sensitive sites -& others on tablet

Noticed a new account under mine - i think I ve deleted that

Added a PIN for lots of tablet apps as well as the method for openning the phone

I have ESET NOD 32 protection with phishing detection as well as virus and malware protection

What else can i do.?    eg keep changing passwords . not use tablet.  

I will phone ESET for advice as they can view my lappy and tablet but any words and warning to others

Im usually highly vigilant BUT when money came in from GOV and the text came shortly after I was partly caught out. BUT If iI'd been desparate for money I might have opened the 2nd link !!!

Is my laptop safe , my main usage, or is that at risk too. ?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Unless you download or install something then I would imagine your laptop is safe.

If you have antivirus/malware protection then you can run a scan on your devices to check @Jenny105 

Keep checking your accounts for anything you don't recognise and report it straight away.

Some support in the links below.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Phishing-Smishing-amp-Scams-Latest-info-amp-advice/m-p/13... 

Guide: A Guide to Deal with Spam/Scam Calls and Text 

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 3

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks   . So far so good . I changed some emails and passwords and phone numbers on sensitive sites. Nothing more and no more messages . The texts were reported to Action Fraud . 02 sent a response to say they would investigate. the whole thing was quite unnerving .

Message 3 of 3