cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My feelings about O2 reception

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just joined the forum today as I was interested to see what other people think about O2's reception around the country. My own experience is that it's very variable even when I'm in a city when I think 'surely I must get a signal here.'

At least a voice call connects more times than not, but internet access is pretty abysmal most places. This generally doesn't connect. I carry a Three mifi dongle with me and use this to connect to the internet if I'm not able to join to a landline broadband.

What bugs me are the texts telling me about the services I could use. Well I can't if I don't have a signal.

They can supply me with cinema and concert tickets. If I want these I'll go to a cinema or theatre. I don't go to a cinema to buy a phone, I go to a phone provider. Perhaps if they concentrated on their core business a bit more I might actually get a better service for the money I am paying. They are telling me about 4G now. I wont hold my breadth. After all these years of not be able to make 3G work I can't see them getting 4G to work in a few months.

I am unfortunately tied to O2 until December but then I'll be free to leave and then, dare I say it, my smart phone may actually appear to be smart.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You can go into your MY O2 account and opt out of receiving text messages. O2 are in the process of rolling out 4G, so it will still be a while before it's available everywhere, but they are aiming for 98% coverage and are hoping to achieve that by 2015, although they have until 2017, I believe.

You are free to take your business wherever you want once your contract expires, but before you go, you should check what kind of coverage the other networks will provide in the areas you frequent the most, i.e. home and work. You can pick up a few Pay & Go sims from the other networks and try them. Make sure your phone is unlocked before you do.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As part of the 4g rollout all base equipment is upgraded thus 2g and 3g will improve at the same time. (2g and 3g required for voice as 4g is data only).

http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future some info out of date but most is vaild i.e. o2 got the 800mhz 4g coverage obligation lot that gurantees the network must be 98% indoor coverage and not the 90% outdoor coverage it is now on 3g (ofcom rules)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm shocked at the signal O2 now provides... I have been with them for just about 10 years now, and I used to get great 3G at my registered address and most places... I don't live in a big city but i also don't live in the sticks either... So i don't understand why 3G is no more...

I asked O2 what happen and i get the responses "3g was never in your area as per coverage map..." "Engineer is working on it right now...". I got fed up with the BS and wrote a letter of complaint as data was my biggest problem but they kept trying to push the tugo app at me which is not the resolution to my data problem... I then got a reply telling me they were willing to drop my tariff by 10quid (to stop me going any further) and that i could keep same allowance inc. Data... now that my tariff is lower I plan to pay it off mid year and move since my contract originally ends in Jan 15' and i can't wait that long to get a better service.

It's a shame because o2 used to be my fave but i now see that their 3g service is actually low for odd reasons and yet they hope to obtain 99 coverage for 4g? Aye right!!!
Message 4 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
They are not aiming for 98% they have to and the only network that has to. And that extends to 2g and 3g yes ofcom say it must be 98% by end 2017 yet o2 are aiming for end 2015 and are apparently 6 weeks ahead of schedule pre xmas rollout.

This ofcom pdf proves it is 2g 3g and 4g frequencies for the coverage obligation lot http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/award-800mhz/statement/4GCov-verification.pd...
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Either way... I cannae wait to jump ship... It's not feasible for me to have a smartphone on a provider that cannot provide properly... The provider I will be moving to even provides 3G in the most obscure places that O2 can't. I also came across this 3G issue in Glasgow which is useless and shocking for a big city.
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good luck with whichever provider you choose
Message 7 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You're free to move to whichever provider you want to. No one is forcing you to stay.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Contractor and welcome to the Community. We are all customers here helping other customers.

I won't repeat much of what has already been said. However most of the networks are currently reviewing and updating the numbers of base stations as the new technology allows signal to travel further. EE who own Orange and TMobile are reducing the number of base stations and as they continue this process there are winners and losers. O2 and Vodafone created Cornerstone where they are sharing base stations. As this project continues, combined with the requirement to improve 2g 3g and introduce 4g signal will improve across the country.

It should also be noted that networks are struggling to handle the amount of data in particular that is being sent over the air hence 4g roll out.

I myself left Vodafone as I was having similar issues with them as you report here.

The industry is changing and I suspect in two years signal will be vastly improved across the country.

Ultimately it is up to you though but PLEASE heed the advice and try out other networks via free sims on the areas you use your phone most. DO NOT RELY ON WEBSITE COVERAGE CHECKERS.

Please let us know how you get on.
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to all who have given advice above.

It's good advice to try it first on a PAYG. I didn't do that, I took it because I liked the deal but in hindsight a good deal for a poor signal isn't such a good deal.

I live in County Durham and as I write this I have an 'E' signal which I believe equates to 2.5G. For a test I am trying to open Apple maps. The wizzy thing is wizzing around but unfortunately no map.

I travel on business to Coventry/Banbury/Oxford and you're right to say don't believe the coverage map. It says good signal down there, I know it isn't.

I remain sceptical about the future promise for 4G. I looked at the verification statement given by adamtemp64, thank you, and it's hard reading. Ther are a lot of if this, if that, measured here or there at this frequency over this type of terrain with population data from here. It's obviously not something most people can justify themselves and so we have to trust the phone companies. I don't think so. 

So as you all say verify the others first because the grass might not be greener. I accept that and I will do more research than I did this time.

Thank you

Message 10 of 22