Did you mean: 

Managing your health treatments

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

We all get sick at times and some conditions require ongoing treatments which can be quite complicated.  There are many ways to keep on top of your treatment regime from online services at your GP practice to order repeat prescriptions, pill boxes to manage your daily medicines or a simple calendar to remind you which treatment is needed that day. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 11.00.31.png

As technology gets better there are more and more ways to manage your treatments and we'd love to hear what's working for you! 

• Do you use an app to manage any treatments? 
  • Do you use online services provided by your GP or private health care provider? 
  • Do you prefer a basic calendar to manage your treatments and do you prefer digital or paper? 
  • What are your future predictions for tech to help manage ongoing health issues? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

My health treatments are very simple @Martin-O2 as my health issues require taking pills 6 daily plus 1 twice a day. And as I have been doing this for some years now, I've got it down to a fine art. I need no reminders, calendars etc I just take 8 pills every day. My local pharmacist, next door to my doctor regularly delivers refills of my prescription every 4 weeks like clockwork without my having to ring them. So I am sorted.

For people with far more serious conditions than my own, I cannot speak. Though I'm sure @Cleoriff will, as a former nurse, have some useful information to impart.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 

I don't make use of any of the online services. I prefer to 'control' everything myself.

I'm not particularly keen on the online Pharmacy ordering system. I tried it once and had the pharmacist phoning me querying why I was on 2 similar types of medication. As they had no idea of my medical history I found that particularly intrusive. So I sent him off with a flea in his ear and since then I have just sent my repeat prescription to my GP.

I don't use any apps.

I'm really not sure about future predictions for technology to manage ongoing health issues. I think about the elderly. How will they manage? I'm sure the highly technical people of today will be fine as they get older. However, as it stands currently, the elderly of today won't be.

I'm also a great believer in doctor patient contact. Technology is fine for some things but it can't diagnose. I'm not sure I would ever trust it to take over this part of your health.

To some extent I have seen it with nurses in ITU years ago. Making a decision based purely on what the ITU equipment says/reads, without looking at the patient. Often a big mistake.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 21

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Martin-O2 

I have never had any meaningful Doctor/Patient contact especially with a 5/10 min window at the surgery.

I have always thought (throughout my life)  I would much prefer a Computer like (not making fun) a robot ~ sample below

C 3po.jpgC-P30 type of robot who was highly skilled in diagnostics.

So roll on robot doctorsheart_eyes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 21

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sod the robots!

I must have been very lucky with all my doctors and medical staff both here and in Thailand. I don't want a computer diagnosis...ever. I want to speak to and discuss my options with my doctors or speciaists. I know this will never happen in my lifetime but I've no doubt that it will some time in the future

Message 5 of 21

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I have to agree with @Cleoriff and @jonsie about computers diagnosing and 'robot' doctors. I want any diagnosis comcerning my health from a human being not a machine. You can't talk to a machine and a machine can't look at you and see how your feeling and/or how you look.

I'm very lucky to have an excellent doctor who takes his time to talk to me, ask how I'm feeling, check the medication I'm on and based on my blood tests, blood pressure and so on continue my medication or add, remove medication based both on what the readouts tell him and what I tell him.

My doctors and nurses my 3 times in hospital were wonderful and looked after me very well. They listened to me and, while my last time in hospital I had every test imaginable without success, the doctors did there best to find the cause of the problem. That they couldn't was unfortunate but they did try everything possible. Machines won't go that extra mile; they can't understand how you feel, the pain your in and so on. They can simply produce readouts based on the tests they perform without any understanding of how we humans actually work.

Nothing can or should take the place of human contact with a medical professional. I too imagine that some day it will all be run by machines. But fortunately I won't be here to see it or have to deal with it.

Message 6 of 21

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Well an instance only this afternoon...

The community nurse came just after lunch (I say lunch merely to give you an idea of the time - I don't eat until evenings) on her thrice weekly visits. Over the last 18 months she has come to know every little thing about me. She knows things I have never told anyone, not my parents, not my wives, not my boys. She has this knack of lighting up my world and I swear to God that she's a mind reader.

Things happen, big life changing events, small irritating niggly things like dropping a jar of beetroot that shatters and soaks carpet tiles and cupboards in red stain. The craziness is that the small irritating things accumulate  to such an extent that they evolve into a major issue mentally.

I digress, sorry. Anyway my point is that this lovely lady sits there and more importantly LISTENS to me rambling on feeling sorry for myself, puts a comforting arm round my shoulder and tells me to get my coat on saying she knows what I need (now is the time to lift your minds away from the obvious) 

This probably definitely is against all protocol and guidelines. We get into her car and she takes me to a very comfortable homely pub and restaurant just out of town. I have two beers while she has a lime and lemon. More talking and trying to sort out my head and suddenly once again I'm looking forward instead of backwards and the world seems a better place with me in it (her words not mine).

It's late at night, well, early morning, so please excuse the witterings of an old fool.

Now tell me a robot or computer that could do all that.....

Once I get on that plane to carry me home, they will probably throw an office party!

Message 7 of 21

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Well an instance only this afternoon...

The community nurse came just after lunch (I say lunch merely to give you an idea of the time - I don't eat until evenings) on her thrice weekly visits. Over the last 18 months she has come to know every little thing about me. She knows things I have never told anyone, not my parents, not my wives, not my boys. She has this knack of lighting up my world and I swear to God that she's a mind reader.

Things happen, big life changing events, small irritating niggly things like dropping a jar of beetroot that shatters and soaks carpet tiles and cupboards in red stain. The craziness is that the small irritating things accumulate  to such an extent that they evolve into a major issue mentally.

I digress, sorry. Anyway my point is that this lovely lady sits there and more importantly LISTENS to me rambling on feeling sorry for myself, puts a comforting arm round my shoulder and tells me to get my coat on saying she knows what I need (now is the time to lift your minds away from the obvious) 

This probably definitely is against all protocol and guidelines. We get into her car and she takes me to a very comfortable homely pub and restaurant just out of town. I have two beers while she has a lime and lemon. More talking and trying to sort out my head and suddenly once again I'm looking forward instead of backwards and the world seems a better place with me in it (her words not mine).

It's late at night, well, early morning, so please excuse the witterings of an old fool.

Now tell me a robot or computer that could do all that.....

Once I get on that plane to carry me home, they will probably throw an office party!

Not 'the witterings of an old fool' at all but sound good sense. A machine or robot won't talk to you like a human being. Nor will it talk to you giving sound advice or just talking to you about every day things to get your mind off your troubles. As I said, and your post underscores my comments above, give me a human every time!!

Message 8 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sounds like a damn good nurse to me @jonsie .

Probably will miss you like hell when you go back to Thailand heart

And no...a robot couldn't give that in depth level of care, empathy and understanding x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 21

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Robots? Surely that cannot be a serious suggestion?

On a personal level, I have to go for a full CT scan every six months. The computerised-systems says I must have a fluid injection so the results of the scan will show up. But I am needle-phobic and am terrified of needles and dreaded this before the scan, which I have no problem with.

Fortunately my consultant is aware of this and over-rides the "system" with instructions that I can drink a suitable dye which will also show up and give the same results of the scan, which is what I have.

I need medical supplies for my condition. The repeat prescription is done by phone call with a customer adviser at the supply company, who knows and understands my requirements and if I need by supplies, for whatever reason, before the normal date. Something which no robot or computer system could take into account.

The nursing staff who treated and looked after me in hospital, the surgeon who operated on me, my consultant, the scan team, the supply company representatives, the carers who come twice daily to provide my needs - all of them - care, show empathy and understanding, and "go that extra mile" to make my life a little easier.

None of that can ever be done by a robot and no matter what advances in technology robots cannot and must not replace these wonderful people without whom I wouldn`t be here or have some degree of a life for which I am grateful.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 21