Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mainly for Info re state of play Vodafone / Three

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

My concern is the possible reduction in MNVO'S. We have lost Plus Net and Virgin recently. Will Smarty or Voxi survive this tie up.

https://www.lightreading.com/regulatory-politics/eu-waves-through-vodafone-three-merger-but-all-eyes...

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10197 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

I think the MVNO market is a tough place to be at the moment, quite a few have disappeared along with Plus Net and Virgin..

BT closed BT Mobile and Plusnet Mobile, as are moving everyone to the EE consumer brand..

Vectone went pop recently, although that is one of the LycaMobile's sub brands.. 

But there are still lots of them and most of them are on BT (EE's) MVNO Platform..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_virtual_network_operators_in_the_United_Kingdom

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 10

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5771 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli 

Three have said that they are leaving the UK market, which seems to suggest that if the merger is blocked, they will be sold to the highest bidder. The scholarly articles that I have read seem to think that Sky and Amazon are likely bidders, in the they have both the motive and the funds. 

I agree that if the Vodaphone/Three merger goes ahead, a merger of Voxi and Smarty seems likely. However, we do not know what constraints the regulator might put on a merger, and whether say Smarty might have to be spun-off as a separate MVNO. 

There is an element of the unknown here, in that it is impossible to know how ownership of Three by Amazon - or even by somebody like Facebook - would look in a few years.   

Message 3 of 10

Enlli
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Both Telefónica and Liberty Global want out. So join together, create synergies etc, then flog off to Venture Capatilists or hedge funds

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 10

Oxonian
  • 5771 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 6 of 10

Enlli
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Nothing strange it's take the money and run 

The bosses of Wilko did the same.

Message 7 of 10

Oxonian
  • 5771 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

You so remind me of someone @Oxonian 

Long gone but hard to forget!

Thank you @jonsie, that's so very kind of you. 

Happy New Year to you too.  

Message 8 of 10

Oxonian
  • 5771 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

Nothing strange it's take the money and run 

The bosses of Wilko did the same.

Quite @Enlli, it just becomes a bit more controversial when the funds are going offshore. 

Message 9 of 10

Oxonian
  • 5771 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions