cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long but HORRIFIC experience with o2. Sever anxiety sufferer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly I want to say I suffer from anxiety and depression and my primary form of communication is via text. It is my level of comfort. 

My old phone screen broke so texting on that is a nightmare. 

I bought a second hand phone from eBay locked to o2

Found out the process to unlock is 15£ 

buy a SIM card and top up and request.

I had to go out of my way to buy a voucher as topping up a new sim with a debit card isn't allowed. So I did this. I was told it takes 72 hours. I'm fine with waiting. 

i was also told that it will take lesss time they just have to advise 72 hours. That's fine. 

I waited 24 and called to get an update the next day (calling strangers very much out of my comfort zone I start panicking) 

i was told oh don't worry it will be done by 10am tomorrow. I said ok. 10 am next day. It's still locked. I call again to ask what the progress is I get told and I absolutely quote Maxine from customer service "it will be unlocked in 4 hours"

i said "will it be unlocked or will you call me back in 4 hours?"

maxine "it will definitely be unlocked in 4"

6 hours later nothing. 

I call back and ask what's going on only to be told it's still in process no advisor can give you a time scale. 

At this point I was finding it very hard to deal with the calls as each time the advisor was ruder and ruder. I had my sister with me and she took the phone as I couldn't deal and asked to speak to a manager. The manager came on the phone quite quickly and told me/my sister "it's illegal for you to get it unlocked anywhere else except o2 and I can send you a check in the post for your £15 top up of you want to forget this"

wow. 

My sister said is there anything you can do as so much false advise has been given. He basically said no. And was very rude and short. 

So I said just leave it we can wait the whole 72 hours. 

I didn't mind waiting from the beginning but because I was told specific times I called to enquiry. 

Today is day 3 and still no unlocking. So at 12 midday - 4 hours til the 72 hour mark I decided to brave another call and I was told to just wait. It will 100% be done by today there is no problem and was told she even escalated it for me. I said ok. I wait. 

72 hours. Nothing. 

I call back and now I am told that at 8am the form was resubmitted. But they don't know by who they don't know why and there is nothing that can be done. I have to wait another 72 hours. I pretty much broke down on the phone to the lady and I know it's not her fault but I asked her is there anyway to know who did that and why she told me no. Can't check another persons email etc which is fine. 

Im at the point where I cannot speak and I am crying hoping for a reason for why 

nothing. 

Now apparently it has been escalated AGAIN. and I have to wait another 72 hours. 

I have ate zero hope of having this phone unlocked at all and because it's Friday I can bet my entire life savings I will not hear a peep from o2 even when the 72 mark hits. It will be me again making the call. 

I wish i never never bought the o2 phone. I thought it would be as simple as unlocking my last EE phone. 

Worst customer service ive ever had. Always a different answer from every agent I've spoken to and been spoken to rudely by 80% of them including a manager. 

Side note: I directly called Apple. And they told me it's nothing Apple do. O2 simply have to send a signal to my phone and Apple never refuse the signal. So it's not that they are waiting for anything from Apple so........... exactly what the hell is going on? Who is lying? Does everyone think they have the correct yet conflicting advise. It's a mess. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Have you tried a different sim in the phone because with iPhones, you don't have to enter a code or anything. The phones IMEI is whitelisted on Apple's servers so it makes it open to all networks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeh I put in the sim and even connect to iTunes. Nothing at all. Says this sim cannot be used etc

I got my sister to call Apple again. They told her that everything is just fine from their side

I just want to know WHY. why the several different answers and why was it resubmitted. I don't understand why I have been given the run around even if it wasn't intentional. It seems no one knows.
Message 3 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
We couldn't answer that I'm afraid.
Do you still have £15 credit balance on sim?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Side note: I directly called Apple. And they told me it's nothing Apple do. O2 simply have to send a signal to my phone and Apple never refuse the signal. So it's not that they are waiting for anything from Apple so........... exactly what the hell is going on? Who is lying? Does everyone think they have the correct yet conflicting advise. It's a mess. 

Apple do reject unlock requests and although not often it does happen...  

Apple wait for an email to be sent to them with the IMEI, and requesting the unlock, apple then check their Enterprise Solution to see if the device is registered against an enterprise and is enrolled in a programme called DEP (this locks a handet to an enterprise) and cant be removed by Apple or o2 it has to be done by the company that purchased the handsets IT Team along with Proof of Purchase.

If it isnt a DEP handset, then apple whitelist the handset in the IMEI Database and you then connect it to Apples Activation server via iTunes, at this point it should be unlocked, bare in mind Apple can take upto 7 days to add it to the Activation Server (never heard the 72hrs bit before and apple arent that quick when no cash is involved). 

This is why it may have failed... 

You will get a text when it is ready to be unlocked. 

Have you contacted the seller, to ask where the handset came from or checked checkmend to make sure its not an insurance block or the seller still owes o2 for the handset.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. It's still there.

I asked why do I have to wait another 72 hours and I was told they have no idea why but that is just the course.
Something really needs to be done about unlocking phones and the time that it takes on the information given to the customer is not conflicting with every single cool
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Call^* not cool
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Things is when I said why did it fail the lady said "I didn't say it failed" just that it was resubmitted before my quoted 72 hours and I was never told about it and she cannot give me a reason why because she cannot see the other agents emails and neither can she see which agent it was.

How do o2 communicate as a team??
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
The phone is completely free of any owed finances and it's an o2 bought phone clean imei not black listed etc
Bought from o2 directly over 2 years ago. Seller isn't available to help me
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it and email they send or a text. Because I was told to keep the phone off so I don't accidentally use any of the £15
And they would email me.
Honestly if I had known how much this would increase my anxiety I would never have bought o2
It's the different advice different times and different answers I keep getting from o2 nowhere else... that I'm at a loss as to who to listen to.
Message 10 of 13