Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to phone to laptop

MM22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have a simple Alcatel phone which does everything I need but rarely use it because I find the tiny touchscreen slow and error prone.  I'm a confirmed computer user and except for the odd voice call when the other end will only use voice (BT and my GP surgery), I use a computer for everything else.

I drive a Vauxhall Astra with built-in voice connection software via Bluetooth, I set this up once and then when I get in the car with the phone in my bag, it auto-connects as soon as the ignition goes on.  The car hardware is great, big touchscreen and decent speakers.  

I also have a Windows 11 laptop with Bluetooth and decent speakers.  So, is this a silly question?  Is there software which would allow me to connect the phone and use it via the laptop like I can in the car?  

I might actually make some calls if there is!  

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23669 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@MM22 Took 3 seconds to look this up on Google: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sync-across-your-devices?r=1

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 26

MM22
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I tried that yesterday, I get a message from the phone saying the device doesn't support the software, Microsoft confirmed that

BT Relay installs fine and the node link shows as connected, but I can't get the phone to connect

Any other software you know of which might?  Vauxhall Intellilink worked first time no trouble and continues to work every call I've needed to make

Message 3 of 26

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

@MM22 

Not for the Alcatel's as they don't support much in this line, the best phones for this are either Pixels, Samsung or Motorola.. 

It might be worth speaking to the BT Relay team and getting support from them..

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 26

MM22
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, Microsoft sent me a list of compatibles and they are nearly all Samsung.  Been planning to upgrade to Motorola for a while but that isn't on the MS list either 🙄

What I am looking for is something like WhatsApp, which connects seamlessly to both my W10 desktop and W11 laptop.  

Yes I could spend a shed-load of cash on a Samsung phone and learn Android, but if I could cobble together my existing kit, same as I do with WhatsApp and the car, it would save me lots of time & money.

The issue seems to be at the phone end, not the computer end, so I doubt the BT team can help but I'll give it a go.  

Message 5 of 26

MM22
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wonder if this might have something to do with it?

MS phone link.JPG

Message 6 of 26

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

Unfortunately Alcatel are the low end of the market, so if you want these features it means ponying up for a Samsung.. I had my Motorola Razr connected to Link to Windows, but now have Pixels, so maybe worth looking at a Pixel 6a or 7a ... 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 7 of 26

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23669 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@MM22 See if this is of any help to you: How to Use WhatsApp on Your Computer (and Web) (howtogeek.com)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 26

MM22
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I do use WhatsApp both on my desktop and my laptop.  Dead easy to set up, just download 'WhatsApp for PC' and read the QR with the phone, seeemples as they say! 

Doesn't work like that for Phone Link, the phone won't read the QR and using the 'link without QR' option gives you the 'device not compatible' message.  

So it's a new Samsung phone or a different connection software, which I haven't found yet.  

Message 9 of 26

MM22
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

True, I bought the Alcatel because it was low cost.  While I will spend loadsamoney on a computer, I'm reluctant to invest in a phone because I use it so little.  Surprising that both WhatsApp and Vauxhall's on-board software will recognise the phone.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Message 10 of 26