Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of SMS reception rural area

Belgina78
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't know which board to put this, but this is an issue I have raised in our local O2 shop too. It really exacerbated yesterday's 4G signal issues too,

Basically, since the TU app was discontinued, we have no way of receiving text messages at home. We had to all install WhatsApp, which is fine for communication with those that we know, however it has really affected my work life. As bank staff for the NHS, I count on being notified of jobs by SMS messages. So I started missing out on jobs. I now have a job where I am on call and again, lack of SMS reception is an issue. I don't understand why O2WIFI call doesn't allow for text messages as well. Earlier this week I also missed an important for my business, because this person had chosen to text me. This was a new contact, so they were not aware yet of the reception issues where I live.

Yesterday I had no way of contacting my children or being contacted by them in case of emergency. I could send WhatsApp messages, but they couldn't receive and they could send SMS messages, but I couldn't receive.

As a rural customer I feel somewhat neglected by O2 (and most mobile providers for that matter). When discontinuing services like TU, the impact in rural areas have a far bigger impact that on those in towns where mobile internet and phone coverage is much more reliable.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Level 4: Observant
  • 79 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

If it's any consolation, O2 isn't the only network to only support voice calls over WiFi calling.

Message 2 of 3

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
If the signal in your area is poor the best thing to do is to change provider - not something that can be done mid-contract admittedly.
You would be wise to check the coverage of all providers, as well as those that offer calls and text over WiFi.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 3