Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue solved

ee_c
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I called O2 from my registered mobile today using 202. I was asked to answer "yes" if I was calling about the line I was calling from and I did so. I was put through to a customer service representative and explained my situation. He then told me I needed to provide a 6 digit code sent via text to access my account. I received the text and informed him that I could not share it, as it came with a warning that O2 staff would not ask for this code. He said "yes, that's fine, ignore the warning message and just give me the code from the second message". At this point I hung up, as I was sure this was not a legitimate call. 

I am very concerned that the 202 number, which is supposed to be the safe option, is not connecting to O2. HAs anyone else had experience of this? I am trying to figure out whether my outgoing calls are being intercepted, or whether it is a problem with O2's incoming calls. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

I think this needs looking into urgently @Dave-O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

ee_c
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My apologies, I have confirmed with an o2 representative that this was a legitimate request. I have been nervous about contacting o2 because I have spoken to a number of scammers on my number recently who have also requested the codes. Apparently sharing the code is okay when you have proactively contacted o2, but not when someone has called claiming to be o2. 

Message 3 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12080 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

Still sounds VERY worrying, given that the text itself says to not share the code with anyone, even o2.

@Chris_K @Dave-O2 ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6626 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1489 Solutions

Absolutely no need for them to have that code. We shall see what the Community Managers say.

Personally I would keep an eye on my account in case there is a rogue employee 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 7

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 649 Posts
  • 40 Topics
  • 16 Solutions

Thanks for flagging this @MI5@gmarkj@Enlli 

We'd always recommend that you stay vigilant when it comes to OTACs, which is clearly working as this thread has been created 😁 

However in this scenario, as @ee_c has contacted Customer Service directly, this does seem a genuine request, which can happen on some occasions.

Regarding the warning SMS that is sent with the OTAC, as has been mentioned above this warns you not to share the code with anyone who has called YOU, which is the correct advice, as doing this could make your account susceptible if you're targeted by a scammer.

If you want me to double-check your account @ee_c please PM me your mobile number 😊

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144493 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27685 Solutions

Appreciate the feedback @Dave-O2 👍

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7