Did you mean: 

Identity theft at record levels!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

I was reading this article on the massive increase in identity theft over the past few years. According to the director of Cifas, which is a non-profit fraud prevention service based in the UK, "identities being stolen at a rate of almost 500 a day" with 89,000 reported in the first 6 months of 2017! 

The vast majority of identity theft happens online and the article offered several tips to keeping yourself safe.. 

• Limit the amount of personal information you share on social media
  • Keep your antivirus software up to date
  • Using strong passwords
  • Don't use familiar numbers, such as date of births for PIN numbers

Has anyone been a victim of identity theft and if so how did you get your Identity back? 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping your identity save when using PC, tablet or mobile outside of the pretty obvious ones listed above? 

Let me know below wink

Identity-Theft.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Only use well known or reputable websites would be one.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 10

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Thanks for sharing @Martin-O2

To be honest, I had this problem when I was here, around 10 years ago, and someone decided to use my "personal information" to buy "mobile devices with my name" - till I didn't have more money... all gone (didn't have much but, still...) in one evening!  No credit card used, they just signed contracts with my personal information and my bank account! done skull_crossbones

The worst: Nothing I can or could do about it! The police told me it was really normal in the UK and that "someone did it stealing my personal information from my rubbish or maybe even my roommates!!!! CrazyCrazy 

What I do now? I just don't make so much money so, no much to lose... but ideas welcome! Help

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 3 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

That's a good call @gmarkj! Do you use an antivirus apps on your mobile? 

@MercedesS That's terrible! I hope you got it all sorted out. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I have one but not used very often @Martin-O2...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Pointless on a mobile phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj I'd have to check if there was one pre-installed but I've never downloaded one. 

@MI5 Are viruses not common on mobiles? 

signature

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've never heard of anyone ever getting a real virus on any mobile device.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Good to know! I'm surprised as you can store a lot of personal info on a mobile so would think they would be a prime target. 

signature

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Mobile systems are inherently difficult to hack into, despite all the scare stories you read about.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10