cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received a (new) damaged phone and O2 want me to pay to have it repaired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having upgraded my wife's phone, upon its contract renewal to the Samsung S6, it appears the phone I was sent was damaged.

I'm currently serving in the British army and spend a lot of time away from home. I ordered the wife a new phone and didn't get hold of it until two weeks after it arrived in the post. 

My wife opened the phone, put it on charge over night and when she checked in the morning, there was a weird purple mark up one side of the screen, which got progressively worse, the longer it was left on. As we live in the middle of no where, the nearest shop is a 45 minutes drive away and as I was at work, we were unable to take it to the shop straight away. We alerted O2 of the fault the next day and they took it away for a check.

It now turns out that they are saying, there is a crack in the LCD display and that it was accidental fault and not covered in the warranty. Neither my wife, or I used the phone other than charging it up, It's been sat in the box for 2 weeks in a cupboard, so it was a faulty product sent to me. O2 now want me to pay for the repairs, which comes to around £260. 

Is there anyway around this? can I either get a new/repaired phone or get out of my contract?

or do I have to suck it up?

I've been with O2 for over 10 years and this is how they repay my loyalty, with a faulty product and a £260 bill and no phone.

Very disappointed, will be telling friends to stay away in O2 in the future. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Change of mind period is now 28 days so send the phone back and cancel the contract. Then take out a new contract. 

Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Make a claim against O2 for damage in transit, although the time lag between delivery and first use is a problem.
You can always make an official complaint if you don't feel CS are helping you enough http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Change of mind period is now 28 days so send the phone back and cancel the contract. Then take out a new contract. 

Unfortunately they won't accept a damaged phone back.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Is the glass broke or the oled layer alone?
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm informed by CS that it is past the cooling off period and they won't take back the damaged phone and am unable to leave the contract. 

I think they have me by the short and curly's.

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

They said It was a crack in the LCD display. Whenthe phone was with us, there was no visable crack. I thought it was heat damage from the charger, due to the colouring on the screen. I'm assured it wasn't.

Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anovo are saying there's a cracking in the display.....The fault was reported straight away. Would you take Anovo's word for anything? I would think they cracked the display in all honesty or its completely fictitious. Me? I would send the phone back but other than that send it to the manufacturer. 

Message 8 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
S6 or S6 edge?
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics