Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have emergency calls only

Malcw
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My post code is M9 8FS and O2 appears to be down. When I check status I get this message

'Sorry, a phone mast close to you isn't working.

Our engineers have found an issue and we’ve ordered replacement parts to fix it. Until we're finished, you might have some trouble with your calls, texts and data, sorry. We will update you by Monday 24th July 2023.'

There doesn't seem to be anyone to speak to or chat about this.

I rely on my mobile network - surely I dont have to wait another 2 weeks or more for the network to be fixed?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23099 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Malcw If the status checker is showing there's a problem and that O2 are aware of it, there's nothing you can do until the repairs are made. Once your service is restored you can call customer service to see if they will offer a goodwill gesture to compensate you for the downtime, but as no network guarantees 100% uptime it's discretionary, and it's luck of the draw as to whether you get someone from customer service who's sympathetic to the problem.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

Malcw
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A lot of users like ourselves no longer have land lines and rely on their mobiles for communication. It surely cannot go unchallenged for a network to deprive users of service through a fault for which they carry no spare parts and are unable to say how long the outage will be.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Malcw 

Have you tried wifi calling to help at home?

Wifi and 4G Calling explained | O2

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10194 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Malcw 

At the end of the day its tough, as per the contract you signed which clearly states the network is not fault free, and they do not offer 100% coverage, and they can if they want just remove the mast, and leave the area... 

Does your car mechanic carry every spare part for your car, or do they have to order parts in, it is the same for Infrastructure, and most of the time its carried only by the OEM, who will send it out... 

And if o2 do decide to give compensation it will probably be your monthly airtime / 30 * number of days without service so a couple of quid at most.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6613 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

If you are at home and have WiFi then having 4G Calling should be an essential for anyone who relies on their phone

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

There is a shortage of computer chips and it doesn't help when network have had to swap out perfectly good Chinese equipment, creating a shortage elsewhere. 

I'd would recommend something like EE, but then I remembered their mast has been down for 3 weeks around here.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 7

Malcw
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Unfortunately my phone, Motorola Moto G5 does not support WiFi calling

Message 7 of 7