Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to spot and prevent a SIM swapping attack

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36971 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1676 Solutions

Interesting article, albeit one by a company that makes its living from Cybersecurity applications: 

https://www.bitdefender.com/blog/hotforsecurity/how-sim-swapping-attacks-work-and-how-to-protect-you...

Love the SIM they show in their first photo... 🤫

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Well O2's policy of now disconnecting sim cards when a new sim is ordered or their continual messing up of number ports probably disguises any outside sim takeover attacks!

Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123759 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7490 Solutions

Interesting article @pgn. One of the reasons I refuse to have any bank info on my phone.

BTW Bit Defender is the a/v and security on our PC's.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

pgn
  • 36971 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1676 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Well O2's policy of now disconnecting sim cards when a new sim is ordered or their continual messing up of number ports probably disguises any outside sim takeover attacks!

Good point, @jonsie - the number registry or registries probably have been asked to beef up their security, compounding an already flaky process. Number portability came at a price...

Message 4 of 6

pgn
  • 36971 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1676 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Interesting article @pgn. One of the reasons I refuse to have any bank info on my phone.

BTW Bit Defender is the a/v and security on our PC's.

Ah yes - bank info on phones, and other such corporate security apps etc. My bank keeps telling me to get rid of my little keypad code thingumajig and move it over onto my phone, with my fingerprint and/or face - pppfffftttt!

Message 5 of 6

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6915 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1544 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

O2..Getting more like Virgin Mobile day by day. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 6