cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make cheap international calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't phone to the US from my iPhone at the moment. And even if I could I guess the rates would be quite high. Can anyone recommend any workarounds, cheap call through systems etc?
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having looked at the Tech side of the forum, I believe O2 have put a bar on iPhone International calls, until one or more monthly payments have been received.
Or, you can pay a deposit!

Don't quote me, but have a look on tech.
Message 2 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
One option

Get a phone with wifi and SIP support (eg N82)

Only works within range of suitable wifi hotspot though.

Owen
Message 3 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have lots of family in the U.S. and have to call them from my mobile most of the time because I travel a lot.

I have found RebTel (www.rebtel.com) to be the easiest and cheapest. I assign a UK number to a person I want to call. Then with my unlilmited landline bolt-on my calls to the States are free. (With exception to what I pay for the bolt on, obviously). The person on the other end also gets sent a U.S. number they can call me on.

If you don't want to go through the extra step to make the call free, (which involves them hanging up on you and re-dialing your number while you wait on the line) it's still only 1p per minute.

You sign up on their website and top up your account with £5 at a time as needed. If you want 20 mins of free calling to try it out send me a message with your email address and I'll send you a coupon.
Message 4 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found RebTel (www.rebtel.com) to be the easiest and cheapest. I assign a UK number to a person I want to call. Then with my unlilmited landline bolt-on my calls to the States are free. (With exception to what I pay for the bolt on, obviously). The person on the other end also gets sent a U.S. number they can call me on.

Do you happen to know which number the other person sees you're calling from? Your mobile number or a different one from RebTel?
Message 5 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you happen to know which number the other person sees you're calling from? Your mobile number or a different one from RebTel?

Yep -- when you assign someone in the States a number, you are given a UK number to ring them and they are given a Stateside number to ring you. When you ring them they see your US number. Once they pick up, you ask them to ring you back on the Stateside number, but you stay on the line. You get re-connected and the call becomes free (assuming you both have unlimited landline calling).

I know it sounds a bit confusing, but it's really quite easy. Like I said before, if you just want to call the traditional way you call their UK number and it's just under 1p per minute.
Message 6 of 36

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Your probably best doing it all above board. You can add on discount country USA for £3 per month and the calls would be at 0.09p per min. The reason I say that is that either O2 will block your international access number or they will charge you the full whack per min as they will be able to see it's an international access number. Therefore you thinking it's a cheap date until your bill comes in leaving you high and dry. I would be cautious that's all slight_smile
Message 7 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even if they found out it was an International Access number they can't charge you more or block you from calling it unless it's a Premium Rate number. The numbers assigned to you by Rebtel are landline numbers in London, Leeds, Liverpool or a few other cities. There are hundreds of companies that offer cheap international calling in a similar way. I have just found Rebtel to be the best overall.

I have called my family in the States for hundreds of minutes per month for over 3 years and never had an issue with being overcharged or blocked. I wouldn't get silly with it and talk for hours non-stop every day -- there is a fair usage policy. But I can't see why anyone would pay 9p per minute when you could for 1p or less. It's not too good to be true. There's no hooks, catches, or hidden charges. There's no conspiracy. It's 2008 -- communicating internationally SHOULD be this cheap and easy and it is.

If you're like me and have unlimited national calling at home too then you can use the same numbers and call for cheap/free from there.
Message 8 of 36

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm afraid that's incorrect 😞 O2 are making an effort to block international access numbers. Yourself may use the service fairly but many don't.
O2 used to offer premium numbers free of charge, unlike all other networks but due to a very small minority who abused the 08numbers as international access numbers which was costing O2 millions, the premium numbers are now chargeable to everybody. We all have to suffer because of people refusing to do it above board.

O2 are now clamping down on standard landlines which are used for international calls. Two things usually happen if it hasn't already happened, O2 will block the number and the company will continue to charge you, sometimes upto the 5 times the agreed rate of £5.00, O2 will not help you as it's a third party international service or they will catch onto this number, maybe not straight away and then they will start to charge you the full standard rate per min. You will believe your being charged at a low rate then you will be hit with a large bill which you won't be able to dispute!
Message 9 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
As of yesterday I am unable to use my Rebtel numbers.

O2 are denying any kind of block but as I can access these numbers from any other mobile network it's pretty obvious that it's a block.

I have been in contact with Rebtel who are taking this matter VERY seriously. As these numbers are UK landline numbers this is a breach of contract. They tried to do this in Germany recently and lost their case. My brother is a journalist and is currently investigating this issue on my behalf slight_smile

I hope they haven't put a block on Ofcom's number.....
Message 10 of 36