Did you mean: 

How do you manage stress?

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi everyone!

It's normal to feel stressed from time to time, but when stress becomes overwhelming and persistent, it can be very damaging to both mental and physical health.

I came across a recent article that lists some stress-management apps that you can download on your mobile. Have you tried any that you can recommend?

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 11.08.41.png

I also read that simple tasks can also play a part in stress management, especially with the type of stress that hasn’t yet formed into something overwhelming. Things that you can do in your day-to-day life such as while doing the dishes. This article lists some surprising ways to reduce stress: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/changepower/201602/11-easy-and-unexpected-ways-reduce-stress

Most of us have probably felt stressed at some point, especially when in working life or studying. It would be great to hear from the community what normally works for you, if you’ve tried any stress-management apps on your mobile device, and also if you have any other tips to share that you have tried and found helpful? smiling

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wise words!
Message 11 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
When posting a reply to @Anonymous Freddie mercury, another destresser for me was singing along (loudly) to fav songs ☺ out of earshot considering others! In car is good. On way to stress, unwound by then. My animals too, looking after them great for me. Clearing and cleaning up garden this week I was helped along with two robins each keeping to their boundaries. Jumping on and in front of my rubber rake, picking up little bugs. They are so funny. Natural or Nature anything real, art, making things, remember wood working? Remember hobbies?
Unfortunately social media is easy. It's good but humans need reality, interests. I notice that the ordinary things in life are being forgotten. Walking on beach looking at rock pools or in parks looking at the trees style of leaves. Just meeting friends.
Not getting better either with Virtual Reality being pushed by cash driven companies.
I'm not on a soapbox I'm doing or have done what I preach and moving seemlessly into new tech which I love.

Great post @TallTrees and very well put. I need distraction. Too much time in thinking leaves me in a dangerous place. One failed attempt months ago and I know I'm not safe when I sit alone with just my demons for company.

Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s sounds obvious, but you have to deal with the underlying issues that are causing that stress in the first place. Just talking through those problems can be a good starting point in releasing pent-up feelings of stress and anxiety, and it’s surprising how much better you feel when you’ve got something off your chest.

Message 13 of 26

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Count to 10...

Draft that e-mail response, but don't send it until you've been away for a while (overnight, or after a short break for codffee or lunch)...

Just walk somewhere for a few minutes...

Bubblewrap?

I am trying to remember if I liked the film "Anger Management", with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, among others... Probably not, but I do find that anger and stress are so intertwined.

There are some well-intentioned methods in this funny clip, but things just don't seem to go right for this guy.

Wouldn't it be good if we changed colour in accordance with our mood and/or stress level? Crazy

Message 14 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Count to 10...

Draft that e-mail response, but don't send it until you've been away for a while (overnight, or after a short break for codffee or lunch)...

Just walk somewhere for a few minutes...

Bubblewrap?

I am trying to remember if I liked the film "Anger Management", with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, among others... Probably not, but I do find that anger and stress are so intertwined.

There are some well-intentioned methods in this funny clip, but things just don't seem to go right for this guy.

Wouldn't it be good if we changed colour in accordance with our mood and/or stress level? Crazy

No I would probably remain red @pgn. Thats very unflattering to my skin tone...joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. There's some really useful info here! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing without biking as an option I'll resort to blasting music to while away the hours / days / weeks...

Message 17 of 26

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10660 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I have a bike and a three wheeler bike!!  I am not very good at riding a bike @Anonymous so I envy you a lot.  I love my three wheeler ~ I never fall off that!  Can't sing on that hasn't got a CD player ! (yet) grin but don't need that I talk to people on way!  Quite a few horses with riders pass by too, enjoying the company of everyone.

Love it!  Have good cycle and walking paths nearby ~ I can't go on road I am a danger!  kissing_heart

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bikes are fab. Faster than walking, cheaper than a car
Message 19 of 26

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Bikes are fab. Faster than walking, cheaper than a car

And don't hurt as much when they run into you!!

Message 20 of 26