cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please. Can connect PAYG to mobile signal but with no internet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the advice of adamtemp64 on this forum, I've just bought a HUAWEI B315s-22 mobile router intending to use it in a remote area where I am unable to get a fixed phone line installed. It will be used primarily as a phone as it has a RJ11 socket and the adverts says..

"TELEPHONE PORT - This will enable the connection of a normal analogue telephone to make and receive GSM calls - this means that if you insert a SIM card that provides both Voice and Data you can make and receive calls using a normal telephone with call charges as per your call plan."

I am testing it first down south near Cambridge with a good mobile signal.

A couple of questions please

(1)
I've put in a PAYG O2 voice & data sim card with £10 on it, the same as you would use in a mobile phone. It connects to the mobile signal with three bars but my computer reports there is no internet available. The admin page of the router says 4G - no internet. Have I bought the right type of sim or should it have been a data only sim? (On the phone O2 said it should have been a data only sim but some web sites say either will work) Or is there another reason why it won't connect? - I tried forcing a connection on 3G but didn't get internet there either.

(2)
If I use a data only sim and that gets me connected to the internet, how can I use the analogue phone I have (actually its a small payphone) to make and receive calls? Do I just plug it in or do I need to mess around with VOIP contacts etc?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Check the data apn settings on the router match these http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#o2%20Android%20APN%20MMS%20mobile%20internet%20s...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Check the data apn settings on the router match these http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#o2%20Android%20APN%20MMS%20mobile%20internet%20s...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Not knowing which to choose I picked the android one and, because I am testing it with a PAYG card, I entered

Name - o2 Internet
APN -  payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username - payandgo
Password - password

and it connected - at least I could get to google and do a speed test, which BTW was much faster than I expected.

Odd though that the status bar on my laptop, (connected to the router via a cable) still shows the network as having no internet but at least the router admin pages show it connected so I guess the APN must have been the issue.

Now to try to get the analogue phone part to work!

If all goes well then I shall get a contract sim. I suppose then I would use instead

Name - o2 Internet
APN - mobile.o2.co.uk
Username - o2web
Password - password

Thanks for your help... but I may be back:smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes sorry I thought I'd linked to the android settings.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous hope you get it working fine did you go for external antenna for the remote site ?

HAve you got the voice working ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 7

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous Please remember what I did caveat the recommendation with https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/How-to-contact-O2-if-not-already-a-customer/m-p/1042979#M90566 To quote 

" (But may breach o2 T&C for voice and data sims) " unless you can get o2 to agree as it will act as a gateway but you may be ok as not large volumes 

6.4 You must not establish, install or use a Gateway Device or SIM Box without our prior written consent (including devices tethered via cable, Bluetooth or wifi, to a computer or the internet, when used for making large volumes of calls, using large volumes of data or sending large volumes of texts). We can withhold our consent for this activity at our absolute discretion. 

@Martin-O2 can you ask for the op how if required the apply if required 

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 7

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous i see on thinkbroadband you need bt to rj11 try maplin they usually have them

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 7